Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 7, 2015
By mk012 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
mk012 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It took me three tries. The first barn had too many riders in a class, the second had three small lesson ponies. The third? I found a barn that had a welcoming group of people, a variety of horses, but most of all, the instructor and trainer. She welcomed me into the barn like I was an old friend.

 

Deb not only taught people how to ride, but she also put in extra time--unpaid--to help riders and to take care of the horses. She did this out of a love for animals. This compassionate, encouraging, inspiring person was my instructor, Deb Neubauer.


I love horses and riding, but I didn’t know anything outside of the basic tack and how to ride. Deb taught me how to be a true rider--and one who can work with a horse that has its own personality.


She taught me how to have confidence and how to trust myself. She pushed me to take small steps--which add up to big steps--in becoming the best rider I can be.


With her booming, yet comforting voice, she said,  “Breathe, Makayla. I can tell you are getting worked up.” In riding, the horse senses your feelings and emotions before you realize you feel this way. My emotions travel like an invisible river that flows from my head and body directly into the horse’s. But it’s not all about riding to her--riding is just a part of being around horses.


Deb cares for the horses like they are all her own, and teaches people how to properly care for them, and she also assists the owner when a horse is hurt or ill. She does nightly barn checks--sometimes three times throughout the night--just to make sure the horses are settled and nothing is out of the ordinary.


Deb gives people opportunities to do more than just ride. She also gets people involved. She gave me the opportunity to do Saturday afternoon barn chores, and now? She has given me the opportunity to become an instructor just like her. I want to go to college to become a trainer and instructor, so teaching others how to ride before I go to college is an amazing opportunity.    


She treats barn members like family. Deb invited barn members into her home, let us have barn sleepovers in her backyard (when she lived on the farm) and came to personal events. At barn sleepovers, the group spending the night would ride in the dim-lit outdoor ring until 2 AM, have bonfires with flames roaring high in the sky, and enjoy an endless supply of junk food. The candy and chips sat (going stale) while we were too busy riding in our pajamas or dancing to the might-wake-neighbors-up country music. At every barn sleepover, we would ride in the outdoor ring and once Deb came to watch us, we would race around playing butt-tag. She would always say “Look at Seabiscuit go!” (because the horse I ride is an ex race horse that hasn’t lost all of his “get up and go” speed yet). I would chuckle at the comparison, but I will never forget it because it reminds me of the speed that this horse can reach thanks to the help from Deb.


Deb is a person who wants to see everyone succeed and she will help each person, every step of the way. Deb was like the mother figure in a family--from cheering people on at shows, to helping someone get back in the saddle after a fall and her saying, “You’re fine! Get back on!” in an encouraging way. She also helped me build my confidence. Deb has assisted riders of all ages to reach each and every stepping stone.


Most of all, thank you, Deb, for opening so many doors (becoming an instructor, and what I want to do for a career) to my future. Deb, you are the most compassionate, encouraging, and determined instructor I could ever ask for. Thank you.