Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By sweetlynn87 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
sweetlynn87 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Educator of the year

When I hear the word “school” I want to barf. School is not my thing and never was. I have always had trouble with my classes as well as making friends. I was what you call a loner. There were a few classes that I looked forward to because they  were electives including: human relations, design and clothing, and developing relations.
I looked forward to “before” and “after” school because there was no such thing as school during these times. When school wasn’t in session, I did whatever I wanted to without having to learn new material in 45 minutes or less. I didn’t like to deal with the drama and tension that teachers put on my shoulders every day. I didn’t want to put up with waking up early and getting to school on time, or even worry about how to get to school.. I always hoped and looked forward to having some other purpose to go to school than just learning.
When I became a junior, my whole attitude about school changed. 
There is a caring, a, dark-haired, sweet voiced, young looking woman roaming the hallways of Arrowhead High school whom, I look forward to seeing every single day. Ms.Mehlos is a School Counselor who is quiet, yet a   woman that you can have a conversation with Ms.Mehlos is a person who I can count on when I’m  feeling blue or can’t handle a situation the proper way. I can tell her about anything that’s on my mind and feel confident that she won’t share it with anyone. She helps me through hard times.
This year has been difficult as I’ve encountered some personal situations outside of school. These situations   have given me negative feelings about life. When I feel like this, I immediately go to Ms.Mehlos and she is all I need to push those negative thoughts away and focus on everyday life. She has taught me how to take care of myself  and focus on the positive.
There’s just something special with Mrs. Mehlos and she  is different from most of the teachers at Arrowhead. I consider Ms. Mehlos an amazing person!   I love listening to her soothing voice because she is like Ariel in The Little Mermaid, minus the fish tail.  
I will always remember and thank Mrs. Mehos for putting positive thoughts into my head. She knows how to cheer me up especially when I’m down, and because of this,  I consider her the best counselor ever. I nominate Ms.Mehlos as educator of the Year for being the most beautiful fish in the sea.