Mrs.O'Brien | Teen Ink

Mrs.O'Brien

By Isabelle Fabris BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Isabelle Fabris BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

I nominate Mrs. O’Brien for the Educator of the Year. Mrs. O’Brien is one of my all time favorite teachers. I was in her class for sixth grade and eighth grade. She helped me get through so much during those years. When I was not doing well in her class, she would work with me and help me get my grades back up to where they needed to be. We got closer after knowing her for so long.
When I was in eighth grade, I got a concussion on May 5th. I received the concussion during school, while playing kickball. Mrs. O’Brien came to see me in the hospital. I do not remember her being there, but my mom told me she came to visit me. I think it was very nice of her to come and see me in the hospital.
I was not allowed to do homework, read, or even surf the computer. When a teacher gave me homework, she would always say, “She just had a concussion! Can she really complete her homework?” I would always laugh when she would do that. Mrs. O’Brien helped me through the concussion implications through the end of the school year. Which none of my other teachers did that.
I will always remember her talk about the Holocaust. She liked to talk about it because she was certified to teach about it, and she knew a lot about it. I always liked listening to her stories. She showed us movies about it too. I liked the movies as well.
That is why I liked her so much. We had our ups and downs, but we had our good days too. There were times when she would yell at our class, but what teacher doesn’t? There were times when we had fun and did cool stuff like when we made a video to the Harlem shake in her class room. It was really nice of her to do that. She treated everyone equally and that is what makes her so special to me. That is why I would like to nominate Mrs. O’Brien for Educator of the Year.