Sandra Seals • Chemistry • Chowchilla Union High School | Teen Ink

Sandra Seals • Chemistry • Chowchilla Union High School MAG

November 16, 2013
By onegirlandapen PLATINUM, Madera, California
onegirlandapen PLATINUM, Madera, California
49 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11


Mrs. Sandra Seals is the chemistry teacher at Chowchilla Union High School. However, she'll tell you she doesn't teach chemistry, she teaches kids. Since this is my second year in her class, I can testify that she is excellent at what she does. She is passionate about the subject she teaches and sincerely loves her students.

The minute you walk into Mrs. Seals's classroom, you feel as if you have reached a safe haven. Her classroom is a refuge in the midst of chaotic high school happenings. She customarily greets her students with, “Hey guys. How's it going?” It's not merely a formality; she genuinely wants to know. I can tell her anything and everything that is bothering me because she always listens wholeheartedly. After talking to her, I always feel better. It's as if the great burden I'd been carrying had suddenly rolled off. She is so interested in her students' futures, she keeps a list on her wall of colleges we plan to attend. Mrs. Seals constantly encourages us as we progress through our senior year and stand on the brink of college. When I found out I had been accepted into a prestigious university, she was the first person I told. I have often expressed the desire to take her with me to college. I am really going to miss her insight and advice.

Often we'll deviate from her written lesson plans and instead discuss recent events. Mrs Seals always regards our opinions as important. She often employs real-life examples to illustrate a principle of chemistry. Mrs Seals is not fake or condescending about anything. She is not ashamed to admit when she has made a mistake. Any criticism or correction offered, she accepts with grace.

This year is her first teaching AP chemistry, and she often claims that she doesn't have a clue what she's doing. However, she doesn't use that as an excuse. Mrs. Seals sacrifices so much time and energy to make sure she prepares us to succeed. She works hours after school and on weekends in order to be prepared for class.

Mrs. Seals consistently challenges students and inspires us to be the best we can be. Her motto is “Work hard and be nice to people.” She often tells us that's all we need to succeed in life. She wants so badly to have all of us succeed. I think she feels like she fails a lot of the time but exactly the opposite is true. I try to tell her how much I appreciate all that she does, but I'm not sure I've convinced her.

I believe that all students needs a Mrs. Seals in their life – a teacher who not only teaches textbook lessons, but life lessons too. Every student needs a teacher who cares, who inspires, who sacrifices, who genuinely loves her students and does everything humanly possible to make certain they succeed. A good portion of the person I am today is a result of Mrs. Seals' guidance and encouragement.


The author's comments:
Mrs. Seals is the best teacher I've ever had.