Ms. Laura Sprague | Teen Ink

Ms. Laura Sprague

By DewDrop27 GOLD, Charlton, Massachusetts
DewDrop27 GOLD, Charlton, Massachusetts

“You fail only if you stop writing.” ~ Ray Bradbury

It all began in seventh grade when I signed onto my English Google Meet. My original English teacher I was going to have left, so I had no idea who the new teacher was. Then, a young woman with a huge grin popped up on the screen. She seemed excited, and relaxed. The woman introduced herself as Ms. Laura Sprague. She gave my class the typical first day of school lecture. Somehow I knew Ms. Sprague was going to be a wonderful teacher.

Ms. Sprague was an optimistic sun, shining her knowledge on us. She encouraged every student of hers to believe and love themselves. She filled students with confidence. Some great artists in my class became more comfortable sharing their art thanks to Ms. Sprague. Ms. Sprague never tolerated bullying, and was the teacher that forced it to end. She discovered my love for reading and writing and pushed me to become more confident with it. Ms. Sprague created a space where out aptitude and knowledge would be supported. She nurtured our talents so us students could have the courage to use our skills at full capacity. I will always be thankful.

Ms. Sprague loved teaching. She made sure her students understood what she was saying. If a student was having a difficult time learning, Ms. Sprague would explain meticulously until the student learned. She never doubted any of us, and encouraged us to keep trying and never doubt ourselves. Ms. Sprague had said that if she were the richest human alive, she would spend all her money improving education, and making sure every child on Earth got a good education. She was the one who helped me with creative writing by posting an abundance of creative writing assignments. She even introduced me to Teen Ink. Ms. Sprague still helps me with my work to this day. My writing ability has improved greatly since I met her.

Maybe her young demeanor made Ms. Sprague approachable. She was an easy person to talk to, and everyone could relate to her. She was relaxed and always cheerful. Us students could talk to her about topics unrelated to school with her such as shopping. It felt like talking to a known adult rather than a teacher. I find it was easier to ask Ms. Sprague questions compared to other teachers I have had. Students always talked to her about problems related and unrelated to school. She was loved by all.

Ms. Sprague had always participated in school events like trivia nights, Name That Tune, and Spirit Days. She started a creative writing club for us writers, and her walls are enveloped in artwork from students. She gave us journals to write and draw anything we want inside. At the end of the year, she left notes for all of us and mine read; "Deeply compassionate, observer, and magic. ‘Always keep a little fire burning, however small, however hidden.’ You are a gift to this world - certainly to mine. It is an honor to know you. Thank you for allowing me your trust and kindness. I do hope you continue to share your art with me and the world. We need it!".

I will forever be appreciative for what Ms. Sprague from Charlton Middle School has done for me. I will continue to grow into an untamed fire and will never forget about the lighter,(Ms. Sprague), who sparked my dream.