My Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

My Favorite Teacher

November 18, 2019
By Tanglybus796091 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Tanglybus796091 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Making my way through the hallways of Arrowhead High School, I reflect on the long day I had so far. Four tests already taken. The stress of the work not yet finished. But then I turn the corner, arriving at room N164. And all those thoughts wash away.

“Guten Morgen Uwe. Wie Gehts du?”

“Gut danke,” I reply as I make my way to my seat. Setting down mybackpack I  drop the weight of the world on my shoulders...for at least one class. 

Every morning, my teacher Mrs. Schueth, or as I call her Frau Schüth, greets everyone as they walk in the room. She is not just concerned about us as a teacher, but as a friend. She wants to understand how I feel and what I am up to. She taught me a very valuable lesson: one word can change someone's day.  

Frau Schüth is a remarkable teacher. Besides being a German teacher, she is also the Global Experience Coordinator and German Club leader. She helps kids get a glimpse of what it is like to live in a different country with a different culture. She even takes kids to Germany over the summer so they can see where she lived for 17 years of her life. I don’t know of many people who spend a large portion of their life living in another other country. It is inspiring to see how passionate someone can be about what they love, and it inspires me to continue after my dreams.

When I walk into her room, I get a feeling of warmth, knowing I can feel comfortable at school. It is a place where I can be myself through another language, where I am able to learn about a different culture and be a part of something.

She is empathetic towards her students because she knows the struggles of learning a new language. She understands it is not an easy thing to do, therefore she is kind about the way she teaches. However, in her classroom, there is one rule: no English. Although it is hard when I am frustrated and don’t know what I want to say in German, I still respect that method because it make students be creative. It forces students to open their minds to try to connect two languages together. And it really does make me a better learner. 

I have always enjoyed her class since I had her freshman year. That is what makes her such a great teacher. 

I just want to say thank you, Frau Schüth! Thank you for all that you have taught me about German and about life. Thank you for inspiring me to follow my dreams and to be the best person I can be. 


The author's comments:

I wrote about my favorite teacher at my school, my german teacher Mrs. Schueth. Not just my favorite teacher, but an inspirer.