Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

November 18, 2019
By evaf13 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
evaf13 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My passion and love for horses started when I was eight years old. I asked my mom to sign me up for a riding camp over Christmas break at a barn called Equitate. The first time I sat on a horse, I knew that this was something I wanted to do. I had no insight on how that decision would impact my future. 

Through every step of the way, age eight to age seventeen, I have been with the same instructor, Sarah McClintock. With her strong voice, and intelligent ideas, she taught me what I was capable of. She taught me how to canter, she taught me how to be a good show rider, and she helped me advance into new levels of riding. 

Sarah started teaching at a barn out in Ixonia, Wisconsin. When she moved on to own her own barn, I followed, hoping to grow as a rider under her teaching. For the past years I have been with her, I have gotten the opportunity to lease horses, learning new lessons from each and every one of them—and I have had successful showing seasons as well. 

Sarah has taught me everything I know about riding, and she has made me the strong competitor I am today. This has taught me the importance of sportsmanship, honesty, trust, and hope. I have had to use these accomplishments in different aspects of my life. These all are important life skills to have and carry into my future. 

Besides that, Sarah has also had a significant impact on my personal life. She has seen me in my worst times. When my parents were going through a divorce, she talked to me and helped me stay on the right path. That is part of the reason I feel like I am such a positive and strong individual today. I was pushed on the right path by the support and help of horseback riding and specifically Sarah.

I would like to say thank you, Sarah, for helping shape me into the person I am today. Under your instruction, I have been able to compete at extreme levels, including the National Pleasure Equitation Olympics two times! I had no idea I would ever make it to that level. I have learned how to handle pressure in my everyday life. I have also grown as a person through life lessons that Sarah has taught me. 

You care about me as an individual, making me feel special and understood. I hope 

you know the difference that you have made and continue to make in my life. Thank you for all you do.