Favorite Educator | Teen Ink

Favorite Educator

November 18, 2019
By ddgoalie SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
ddgoalie SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Educator

Like most juniors and seniors at Arrowhead, I’m not the most academically gifted student or the best at math. But Mr. Witte helped change my views on mathematics and the way I handle myself. 

Before I met Mr. Witte, math was just another class I had to chore my way through. His class was different, though. His was refreshing because everyday he would find a way to remind the class to take on the day with a positive mindset. On top of that, Mr. Witte always seemed interested in how I was doing with school, hockey and life.

During first semester with Mr. Witte, I learned how to be a great person just as much as I learned equations and graphs. I was excited to know I would get to see Mr. Witte again every day for the rest of the year.  

For me, Mr. Witte was one of my friends. I could come to him with problems in math, or problems in sports—or even problems outside of both those things. He seemed to care about what I was saying. Even if it was a simple mistake in math, he would take the time to explain it and make sure I understood it before going back to his work.

I liked Mr. Witte so much I decided to pick for my senior year his Leaders’ Mindset class. I liked the topic of the class, but more importantly, I liked the teacher. The class is a deeper dive of what he sprinkled into math class.  It’s about how the way you look at things can change how you feel and those around you. It also teaches you how to carry yourself in a way that will make people want to follow you. One thing that I have implemented in my daily life is leading by example and being a role model with my actions.

Mr. Witte has helped me get over problems I had been struggling with at hockey. I was having a rough week and felt like things were not going my way. But when I talked to him, he gave me advice that made me think and helped me overcome my tough week. Most recently, when I was having trouble focusing in hockey (I was getting frustrated every time I would get scored on), he told me, “Before you go out there, imagine whatever makes you mad.  Then see yourself overcome it.” When he told me this, I was confused at first, because I thought it wouldn't help to imagine the faults. But when I used what he had previously taught me about being open minded, it worked and I started finding success on the ice.

All in all, I want to thank Mr. Witte for not only being an amazing teacher, but also for being an amazing friend with awesome insights on everything in life.