Life Lessons | Teen Ink

Life Lessons

By SpattyPatty BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
SpattyPatty BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

I was bullied in middle school. It was never severe, but it was enough to ruin my day and bring me down. My parents always said, “Stand up for yourself. Protect yourself from those kids.”

And I tried my best.

I was in fifth grade, it was lunch time. My friends and I were chowing down on our lunches when a kid dumped shredded cheese on my head and then continued to call me names. I had never felt so embarrassed. I stood up, clenching my fists with rage, and bam! Just like that, I had made a fist and given the bully a bloody nose. We were both sent to the office immediately.

I walked in, to that nice smelling office with a nice oval shaped glass table where I sat in a cushiony spinny office chair. I knew I was in trouble. That’s when Mr. Lichte walked in, a tall man with a buzz cut of the sorts and a low voice. He was intimidating (I think that’s mainly because I knew I was in the dog house.) The bully and I gave both sides of the story, trying to get out of the mess we were in.

Mr. Lichte said, “I gave the bully a 2 day out of school suspension due to our no bullying policy, but you should stay here. There is nothing to worry about, I must give you a half day in school suspension.” I was confused, how was I in the wrong? He went on to explain that I was getting punished because I didn’t do the right thing by being the better person in the situation I was given. I didn’t just brush myself off and get a teacher to help. Instead, I fought. I had taken the violent route.

He told me he knew I was a good kid with a bright future, and he acknowledged that what I did came with a bit of justification. Mr. Lichte taught me a valuable lesson that day. To always take the high road.

I feel that Mr. Lichte has made one of the biggest impacts on my life. He knows how to solve problems. He helped me through some of the tougher times in middle school and I feel that I am the person I am today because of him.

I am now a senior in high school, and I still use the lessons and values that Mr. Lichte taught me years ago. Thank you Mr. Lichte for the lessons you teach and all the hard work you put in to make Lake Country Middle School, a safe and fun learning environment.

This is a story about a valuable lesson I was taught by one of my most inspiring educators when I was growing up.