Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

The primary focus of a sports team is to become the best on the field and win. That was the mindset I had too, until my junior year of high school when I played on the Arrowhead varsity white lacrosse team under Coach Mayer.

In three short months, I rediscovered the purposes behind everything I did. And in three short months, Coach Mayer became more of a father figure to me than the man who continuously claimed to play that role.

Coach Mayer created a team atmosphere unlike anything I’d been a part of. He emphasized the importance of becoming better people, not just better players, with speeches about “putting first things first.” He set aside practice time to discuss life. The effort he put into our team resulted in a family.

Thankfully, a family is exactly what I needed that year. At the beginning of the season, I had a difficult conversation with Coach Mayer about my life at home, more specifically the unexpected visits and phone calls from my father (who I hadn’t spoken to in over three years). For the first time, I let the anxiety I had been silently carrying off of my chest. And when I finished rambling, he told me he was sorry I had to go through this.

I brushed it off with an, “Oh it’s okay I’m fine.”

He responded, “No, the way you’re being treated is not okay.”

At that moment, I broke down because nobody had ever told me I didn’t have to be okay all the time. Thank you, Coach Mayer, for showing me I’m valued and that my feelings are valid.

Coach Mayer supported me unfailingly throughout that season. One night my mom was stuck in court fighting through her divorce and she wasn’t able to drive my brother to his practice, so I had to take him (even though I needed to be at my own). I texted Coach Mayer that I would be late to practice. As I sped to get there, I anxiously awaited a text from him saying I would be running laps afterwards.

Instead, I got this: “Don’t rush. We’ll see you when you can get here.”

Thank you, Coach Mayer, for understanding the importance of family.

He taught me to reevaluate the reasoning behind any activity I’m involved in. I shouldn’t participate in clubs only to put it on college applications, work just for the money, or play a sport just to win–everything I choose to put my time towards should be done to grow in character. Thank you, Coach Mayer, for helping me realign my priorities.

Similarly, towards the end of the season, he asked me about my future plans. I told him how I wanted to pursue a career in medical missions, and how I wanted to take a trip abroad, but my family’s finances couldn’t make it happen. Without hesitation, he offered to fully fund a gap-year service trip abroad through the Stacey Elizabeth Mayer Foundation, a foundation dedicated to his late daughter to further her work for Christ. Thank you, Coach Mayer, for giving so much and asking for nothing in return.

A year later, he still cheers me on. Although his determination as a coach pushed me to make Arrowhead’s top varsity lacrosse team this year, and I no longer get to have him as my coach, he hasn’t stopped being my biggest fan both on and off the field. Thank you, Coach Mayer, for never giving up on me regardless of my skill level.

Whenever I have good news, he’s one of the first people I tell because of the joy he has in watching me succeed. So thank you, Coach Mayer, for showing me what it truly looks like to live a life of faith. Thank you, Coach Mayer, for teaching me the most important things in life are the people in it. And thank you, Coach Mayer, for being my biggest fan not only in lacrosse, but in every endeavor I pursue.