My Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

My Favorite Teacher

April 4, 2019
By walmy12 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
walmy12 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Intelligent as a dictionary, Mrs. Fellabaum was my freshman and sophomore year English teacher. She’s a strong woman willing to help anyone. She’s about five foot five, with shoulder length hair. She mostly wears jeans, and tennis shoes. She is someone I can talk to and rely on to be there for me. Over the years, we have created a fantastic connection and I could not have gotten through high school without her.

On September 4th, at Arrowhead Union High School, English 9, 9th hour, she started off class telling us about herself including, her family (four brothers, mom, dad and her husband). She moved to her studies of education at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. She explained how she had to give up her cute puppies to a family friend because she was moving into an apartment. Four years later, hearing that same presentation six times, I could tell you she HATES bologna and spiders, but loves Oreos. Not included in the presentation, but should be, is her amazing abilities to make brownies (oh my goodness, they are to die for).

I have struggled with reading, but freshman year I asked Mrs. Fellabaum to help me with  techniques. She was so excited to be able to help me. She made such an impact on my educational life. We met every Monday at North Campus (for juniors and seniors) from about 3:00 to about 4:30pm. We would read articles and she would ask me questions. She would time my reading to make sure I improved at the pace she wanted me to. As we were doing this for at least a semester, I learned she had gone back to school to get her reading specialist certificate. I was so amazed. Now, she has completed it and is amazing at her ability to be a full time English teacher, but also help her students with reading.

Sophomore and junior year, I was able to get the credit for all of the classes she taught (basic English, American Lit, Modern Lit, and College Strategies). Throughout those years she went above and beyond, she helped me with making a resume, to editing papers (not even for her class) and just being an adult in the building I could rely on. She made transitioning into senior year and preparing for college an easy trip around the sun.

Returning after summer, heading into senior year, it was time to start college applications, and scholarships. I needed a letter of recommendation. I caught her before school one day. “Hey, Fellabaum, I am in the middle of my application and scholarship process, and I am in need of a letter of recommendation. Would you be willing to write me one?”

Without hesitation she responded, “Of course.”

I knew I couldn’t go wrong with her writing it.

A couple weeks go by…

Later, Mrs. Fellabaum sent me my letter. No words can describe the way she described me, using words like hardworking, a leader, passionate and intelligent with my school work, and personal hobbies. In the past we had talked about activities I enjoy, and when it came to that letter she knew everything. I’m not even sure how.

I would like to take the time to thank Mrs. Fellabaum for helping me with my reading, and writing my letter of recommendation. But most importantly, I cannot thank her enough for taking the time over the last four years to get to know me on a level no other teacher has. You have cared about my personal and educational choices like you are my mom. Thank you.