MN Twins Pitcher - Pat Neshek | Teen Ink

MN Twins Pitcher - Pat Neshek MAG

You’ve been running patneshek.com for most of your baseball career. What prompted you to start the site?

I started it to give fans an idea of what goes on in a baseball player’s life. I always wondered this when I was growing up, and promised myself I would make a site if I got into pro-ball. It’s fun, I can interact with everyone and hear some great stories. Plus, I get some cool stuff from the fans. I love that as well.

You sign autographs whenever asked, which has helped you gain a huge fan base. What made you decide to do this?

I was always that kid waiting outside hotels and ballparks for autographs; I know how much it brightened me up back then when some AAA player would shoot the breeze with me. It meant a lot. I try not to forget that, and to give back.

I once watched you sign a lady’s foot. What are some of the weirdest items you’ve signed?

Just about anything you can think of, I have signed it. I have signed a baby! People’s feet, hands, faces ...

How did you start pitching side arm, and what makes it so effective?

It all stemmed from an injury in high school when I got beaned on my wrist. I couldn’t pitch all summer, but I could play shortstop, and when I was fine to pitch again, I was throwing from the side. I didn’t even know. Hitters tell me that it’s hard finding where the ball comes out. I hide the ball really well, it has velocity.

You made your major league debut last July. What was going through your mind as you went to the mound?

A lot of things, mostly just to throw strikes and get off the field as quickly as possible. The debut was tough, I felt like I wasn’t out there but watching myself. I couldn’t wait for it to be over because I knew I would feel more comfortable in my next outing. Just knowing all my work has paid off is the best feeling.

What is your most embarrassing baseball moment?

Walking into the Twins clubhouse and seeing a Top 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Pat Neshek created by our bullpen coach. I wanted to roll into a hole because everyone saw it. But, I remembered if they are making fun of you, they must like you deep down!

What advice would you give a baseball player with major league dreams?

It’s a long road and nobody is going to believe in you. That said, believe in yourself, get yourself the best training you can. Put yourself in position to get to the next level ... take it one step at a time, and you will go far!

Ralph said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 11:05 am
What a guy for not quiting.  It just shows when you practice you will only get better.

Alison Neshek BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
I like this article :)

I had no clue thats why he started to throw with his other arm. Very informative