An Interview with Graciela | Teen Ink

An Interview with Graciela MAG

January 6, 2023
By MAC-HAB GOLD, Wyndmere, North Dakota
MAC-HAB GOLD, Wyndmere, North Dakota
12 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin


Graciela is a 15-year-old from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, who writes, sings, and plays piano. She has played at local festivals, talent shows, charity events, various venues in Nashville, Tennessee, and at Hard Rock Café. In October 2021, she performed at the Fourth Annual Women Who Rock™ Benefit Concert, joining an all-female roster of renowned entertainers. She recently released a new EP in October of 2022, titled “Live Like This.” Graciela has been working alongside six-time, Grammy-winning producer Jimmy Hoyson and award-winning music producer/composer Rob Deaner. She aspires to follow in the footsteps of her musical influences as a must-see entertainer and pianist.

McKinnlee H: What entices you to create your music, and what are your biggest inspirations?

Gracie: My love and passion for music have kind of always been there. My biggest inspirations are Freddie Mercury, Taylor Swift, and Paul McCartney!

MH: How old were you when you fell in love with
the piano?

GR: I was a very young age. I started taking piano lessons at like, seven to eight years old. Somewhere around then, I got into piano, and then I just started singing.

MH: Do you have a favorite song you have
ever written?

GR: I love all my songs for different reasons. I’d say my favorite that I’ve written is probably “To Hold You.”

MH: Do you have a favorite venue you have
played at?

GR: My LA show for the Women Who Rock event. Jordin Sparks was the host for the night, and that was probably my favorite place I got
to perform.

MH: How do you feel when you stand before a
crowd of people?

GR: I feel like I’m going to throw up, and I’m scared to death. But then, as soon as I hit the stage, the adrenaline rushes, it’s just the best feeling in the world. I just loosen up.

MH: Have you ever fallen ill to writer’s block?

GR: I was just kind of in it a few weeks ago. I just couldn’t come up with anything. I thought like I wasn’t going to ever be able to write again, but I eventually got out of it. [So yes,] I definitely have. 

MH: How do you combat writer’s block?

GR: I struggle with finding a way to get out of it. I just keep on pushing at [writing] every day, even if I can’t come up with anything, even if it’s just a line. I just continue to try to write something even to get a little progress, and eventually, inspiration will just come. Then I get out of it. I definitely think you have to continue to work at [writing], even if you’re stuck. That’s the only way to get out of [writer’s block].

MH: What would you say to another young person who wants to create music?

GR: I would say that it’s never too young to start, and to just go for your dreams if you are that young. You know what you want to do, and you want to create music. I think that’s amazing. I think you should go for it.

MH: What influenced your new album “Live Like This”?

GR: This album, I really got in touch with like songwriting, and that was really big for me. Like, I sat down way more and started writing. And I had some people help me with learning how to song-write like Rob Deaner and my producers. It’s just that my everyday life really influenced me — I’m writing the songs. But this year I’d definitely say I’ve written more than I ever have before, and that was where the album came from.

MH: Do you have a song that iscloser to your heart in your new album?

GR: Oh, they’re all kind of like that to me, I love them all equally! But at the moment, I would say “Burden.”

MH: How long did it take you to compose every song in your album?

GR: The recording process and demos… and then getting the people to come in and play (if you have to play any instruments)… it’s a long process — and I don’t think I was aware of that before. I just realized how long
it actually took, but in the end, it’s worth it. [I’d say it took] about a year.

MH: You said that there were smaller processes to that songwriting and recording. What would you say was your favorite out of that, or what did you enjoy most from that? 

GR: Either recording it (like getting to listen to the music, the studio environment, and getting to actually sing) or at the end when you’re making final details. Just listening to it in a studio. It’s just that feeling of first hearing it all come together. It’s the best feeling because you have [done it]. You had the entire year of what you visioned in your head, and then finally, you get to see it all come together.

 

To listen to her new album and other amazing songs, check her out on YouTube, @graciela9377!