Give It Back! | Teen Ink

Give It Back!

January 4, 2018
By IzzyIzabella PLATINUM, Arlington Heights, Illinois
IzzyIzabella PLATINUM, Arlington Heights, Illinois
21 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I watch Frank devour each mathematical maze like chocolate cake and Zach attempting them at first with serenity, so both of their As look effortless. I only wish to be as sharp as them and can't help but let my mind float to the Junie B Jones series shoved in the bookshelf across from me. It didn’t take much time for Ms. Fine to start marching around our tiny first grade desks and then ending up in front of the chalky blackboard with her foot tapping.Trying to avoid eye contact and her infamous words: Time is ticking! You better finish up! I collapse on my clammy desktop, hoping my chewed up pencil starts coming up with something to scribble down. In the corner of his eye, Frank notices that my light bulb is burned out, so he snatches the bare paper from me and begins to rewrite all his work onto it but all I do is sit there paralyzed screaming Don’t do it! Give it back! Frank shoots back a look declaring, I got this, so I give in. Without any warning a shadow engulfs our pod, making Zach giggle and everybody stare at my pale face. Ms. Fine’s bony hand pulls me towards the door and when I squint back at Frank there are only his curved lips mouthing, Not my problem.


The author's comments:

In my creative writing class we had to write about a time that we got in trouble when we were little. In this piece I was a first grader and let's just say I wasn't the smartest cookie in the jar.