Three Questions I'd Ask A Rapist | Teen Ink

Three Questions I'd Ask A Rapist

By futurista12 ELITE, Far Rockaway, New York
futurista12 ELITE, Far Rockaway, New York

"And though she be but little, she is fierce."- Shakespeare

Three questions I'd ask a rapist, or a child molester, or a pedophile: 3. Why? What made you hurt someone that way? What made you do it? Was it just on the spur of the moment, a happenstance, or was it harvesting for a long, long time? Why did you want to hurt someone like that? Did you want to, was it you, or were you not in control? Did a devil take hold of your soul? What happened? Why would you want to hurt someone that way? Did somebody hurt you when you were little, did you see somebody hurt your sister or your mom or your best friend, why would you continue this cycle of everlasting confusion and pain? What ever possessed you to break her in two? She was just a little kid, and she didn't know what to do, and worst of all, she probably looked up to, she probably trusted you. Explain to me. Why didn't you get some help before you hurt someone in this irreversible way? Why? This is not an angry interrogation or an attempt to cause pain, it's a plea for understanding, understanding your reasons why so that forgiveness can somehow, maybe, take place.

2. What if she was yours? Do you have a little girl that you love so very much, or a niece, or a baby sister? Do you have a precious, innocent child who still looks at the world like it's beautiful? One who hasn't yet experienced violence and torment? What if it was her? What if someone took all that from her? How would you feel? How would you feel if someone took your little girl and ripped her legs apart and tore her hymen before she even hit puberty? How would you feel if someone pinned your niece against a wall and demanded her womanhood when she was only just a girl? How would you feel if someone abused your little sister and stripped her of her innocence? Would you be angry? Now I'm angry because I still don't understand why and how could you? What if someone broke your little girl and left her to pick up the bloody pieces? Would you want to kill them like I want to kill you? Or was it your little girl, your daughter, your niece, your baby sister? Did she trust you? Did she smile at you? Did she giggle and open her arms to you so you could pick her up and swing her round and round? Did she call you Daddy, did she call you Uncle, did she call you Broskie? Because all these little girls are our daughters, they are our nieces, they are our little sisters. They were your daughters, they were your nieces, they were your baby sisters, and you were supposed to protect them. What if somebody pleasured in the sight of her undressed, what if somebody took advantage of her because they were bigger and they scared her and they could? What if somebody left her unable to speak, unable to breathe freely, unable to remember exactly what happened, unable to separate reality from imagined fears and then from now, unable to delete the memories and pictures from her psyche, unable to sleep at night? What if somebody took her desire and will to live? What if that someone was you?

1. Why is it always 'look at me?' Why do people like you want their victims to look at them? Does it make you feel some sort of sick and insane power? Why is it so important that they look at you? Does it make you feel better to see the terror in their eyes? Do you inhale the scent of their fear? Do you feast on the agony in their eyes? Do their eyes tell you that you have won? Because you have defeated them, because you can see the splinters behind their irises? Is it some sort of nauseating and disgusting way to pretend that they enjoyed being raped, that they agreed to the ravaging of their bodies? No, they didn't. We didn't. Does it make you happy, making little girls cry? Does it make you happy, stealing the light from twinkling eyes, stealing the beauty and joy from life, introducing a kid to the horror and strife that no-one- adult or child, female or male- should ever have to experience? Dear Rapist... are you happy?