What If... | Teen Ink

What If...

By Pointe2Twilight PLATINUM, Woodbridge, Virginia
Pointe2Twilight PLATINUM, Woodbridge, Virginia

She took a quick glance behind her. His face stood out from the crowd like a dove among pigeons. He was so close. She turned her attention back to the boy beside her. Her focus should be entirely on him. But she found that task to be nearly impossible. After each turn, she saw his face. Damn it all to hell. Thinking about him had become a mental drain. It troubled her sleep, she tossed and turned with him in her head. How was he able to so easily penetrate her dreams. Why was he so important to her? He never even really spoke to her after it happened. Sure, she shed her tears. Yeah, he probably saw them that day in class. She had been so distraught over something she wasn't even sure was real. So much trouble over one person. But then again, that's the way it had always been for her.

Oh how she wished she could get inside his head. It was a dangerous urge that made her want to know more. Yet, she feared his thoughts. What if she had gotten it wrong all along? What if he never even looked at her and she had just imagined it? Could she really be going that insane? She pulled herself back to reality as she realized they had stopped walking. He still spoke of things she hadn't heard, oblivious to her being lost in thought. He gave her a quick kiss and an 'I love you'. The other couldn't even do that. Be thankful, she told herself. She had something good. She needed to stop lingering in the past. Yet even after telling herself that, she couldn't help but think about him once more everyday.