Meaning of the Flag | Teen Ink

Meaning of the Flag

By hmatticks SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
hmatticks SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Soaring through the sky in red, white, and blue, 50 stars and 13 stripes live through the history of America displaying freedom, opportunity, and protection.

September 17, 1787. The Constitution was written and signed, establishing democracy and fundamental laws, guaranteeing basic rights to U.S. citizens. The land of the free and the home of the brave. Freedom has been a battleground in U.S. history. Fortunately, America’s democracy allows its citizens to have freedom possible without being controlled by demanding laws. “We the people” have a say in who we want as our leader and what decisions our  government makes.

January 1, 1892. Ellis Island opened as the first place immigrants stepped foot in America. Immigrants sailed to the U.S.A. for a better life and for country where opportunity is plentiful. The immigrants who came to America struggled in their home country. Sailing to the U.S.A. meant thousands of jobs and the immigrants took advantage of these opportunities. Now able to provide for their families and recreate the life of their dreams in America, the immigrants who played a huge part in why we are living in the U.S.A. today. Without our ancestors none of us would be here in America.

May 2, 2011. Osama Bin Laden, leader of Al Qaeda. was killed by U.S. Navy Seals. Osama was responsible for many terrorist attacks on the U.S. and other countries. He was also involved in one of the most devastating attacks in U.S. history, 9/11 killing 2,996 people. The killing of Osama Bin Laden had not only saved America but also saved other countries, saving them from terrorist attacks on their citizens. Our U.S. militia’s job is to protect the citizens from devastating attacks.

From red, white, and blue to the Star Spangled banner America has been (and always will be) a place dear to my heart. A place full of history. A place where freedom and opportunity is plentiful. A place where you know you’re safe. This is what the flag means to me.