Dear Boy, | Teen Ink

Dear Boy,

April 10, 2015
By ThoughtBox GOLD, Sunnyvale, California
ThoughtBox GOLD, Sunnyvale, California
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." Margaret Mead


Dear Boy,
I got to know you this week. I’ve been told by your friend that in 3 days I got to know you better than others have in 3 years. But that’s my secret power.


The thing is I see you as a real person. Of course for a moment I was blinded by your gorgeous face, but you are so much more than that. You are more than a pretty face; you are more than the perceptions of others. You are a beloved child of God. You are special, you can do amazing jump rope tricks, you like science, and you build things for fun that I could never dream of in a million years. You are a real human.


You have 2 brothers, you have a great family, and you went to a strict elementary school. You are gentle and sweet and kind. You comfort. You see others too. We have the same gift.


There was something beautiful about you revealing yourself to me, like it was the greatest gift a human could ever give. Of course, I poked and prodded for that gift, but you gave it willingly nonetheless. And I will always honor that gift. I will always honor you.


You taught me something this week. You taught me you.
And maybe it’s the drowsiness, the adrenaline, or the infatuation speaking but don’t you ever forget this:
Don’t be afraid to be seen.
-Me


The author's comments:

About a boy I became friends with recently and realized none of his friends had ever really seen him as himself before until I came around.