Deaf Life Guards - Should They Be Allowed? | Teen Ink

Deaf Life Guards - Should They Be Allowed? MAG

By Anonymous

   Deaf Lifeguards

Should they be allowed?

by Megan C., Congers, NY Adrowning child in a public pool frantically flails his arms and legs, screaming for help. The lifeguard should notice the child and rescue him, but what if the lifeguard can't hear? Would that make a difference? This is a controversial situation happening at public pools all over the nation. Many believe that Deaf* lifeguards are a safety threat, but the truth is that hearing is not always important to lifeguarding. Sometimes not being able to hear is an advantage.

A Deaf person is essentially the same as anyone else and can perform most jobs - including lifeguarding. People with disabilities are guaranteed the same job opportunities as everyone else under the Public Law 94-142 and can't be discriminated against because of a disability. Though PL 94-142 does guarantee equal job opportunities for the Deaf, it does not give them special privileges for a job. That means a Deaf lifeguard must have the same qualifications and abilities as a hearing person.

In a job such as lifeguarding, not being able to hear could be an asset. Sounds can frequently distract a lifeguard. For example, if the pool or beach area is very loud, the lifeguard may not be able to hear someone's cries for help. If the lifeguard gets into a conversation with someone else, his/her concentration is distracted from the pool. Since they cannot rely on their hearing, Deaf lifeguards will focus all their concentration on watching the water. Also, Deaf people have superior visual skills and may often see something that a hearing person would not. This is an asset because when a person, especially a child, is drowning, sometimes he/she doesn't have the ability to call for help and keen visual skills would come in handy.

Deaf lifeguards are just the same as any other lifeguard. Clearly, the subject of Deaf lifeguards is a prime example of not judging a book by its cover. ?



*Deaf individuals prefer to have the D in "deaf" capitalized.