Crash | Teen Ink

Crash

By Clanoue GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
Clanoue GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida

1.6 million car crashes are due to cell phone use. 25% of all motor vehicle crash deaths can be attributed to distracted driving. Public service announcements can help reduce the number of distracted driving incidents. Some may say people will not watch public service announcements and if they do, they won’t believe that it applies to them. Statistics show the repeated use will change public opinion. One of the best ways to teach people the consequences of distracted driving is by using PSA’s and by doing, so they will lower the number of distracted driving incidents and therefore saving lives of those that were previously distracted drivers but also the lives of the people they may have killed.

To quickly summarize PSA’s: Public Service Announcements or PSA’s for short are the new method organizations and charities used to spread the word about public safety. The PSA’s that display the horrifying effects of distracted driving get the most attention. In the last 5 years, the number of people who have watched safe driving PSA’s has been increasing due to the shocking content of the videos, and consequently, the word about safe driving is now spreading more than ever.

Laws are being passed in many states now. The word about non-distracted driving is now spreading more than ever. From newly driving teens to parents, PSA’s have a good impact on all those who have not yet been alerted about the dangers of distracted driving. Alternatively, just as we have all those who are 100% for PSA’s, there are people who don’t believe PSA’s are impacting enough to change the world. One of the most common counterclaims against PSAs is that people will not watch the ad if they don’t believe it applies to them. True some will not watch or think that bad things won’t happen to them. On the other hand , statistics have proven that the majority will watch and be impacted by the ads when they present clear, easy-to- learn-facts, and then they either show the people, in detail, what happens to the human body when it’s in a car crash, or they invite real people to describe the loss of a loved one, and the experience they had when losing a close friend/family member. It’s not just numbers and facts. It’s also impacting visuals, it’s also the emotional appeal and real stories that just stay in people’s heads, and helps them realize, things happened to people when they least expected it, so this could happen to anyone, even them.

Another common objection against PSA’s is the belief that there is too much graphic content displayed. But considering the amount of extremely realistic and vivid imagery that contains violence today in movies, books, and video games etc, PSA’s are far from being too graphic to watch These ads are, trying to show people that they are not invincible and can text, and drive carelessly while risking their lives and the lives of others. PSA’s are here to help people be aware and stay safe. The graphic content is needed, to help people become aware of what can happen, and as long as this keeps people alive, even one, it’s definitely worth it.

Finalizing this topic on PSA’s, the benefits are far greater than one could imagine; because to help keep people alive and safe is a reward far greater than anything this world can offer. Using public service announcements will reduce the number of distracted driving incidents just as. Presenting the public with these PSA’s is far more than just shaking people awake and giving them facts; it’s helping them gain the knowledge they need to make the right decisions. It’s reminding them they have the power. It’s helping them by opening their eyes to see that life is far, far more important, than a simple text, or a call. Statistics show time and again that the right campaign with repeated use will change public opinion and save lives.