The Sky Beyond the Well | Teen Ink

The Sky Beyond the Well

January 31, 2019
By daniellepham2406 BRONZE, Spring, Texas
daniellepham2406 BRONZE, Spring, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The moment the frog freed itself from the narrow well, its understanding, and view of the world changed, as the frog is now under the sky that it once underestimated.

I was once that frog. I grew up in Vietnam, a communist country; and little did I know, I was brainwashed from the very first day of school. My classroom was nothing more than a torn, corrupted factory, and I was one of its million identical products made by the hands of indoctrinated workers. Now, looking back to those times, all that remains are lies among lies, produced by the corrupted politicians who roared loudly on T.V but feared freedom like a little mouse. I laugh as I see my old self, but smile at where I am now.

The year I turned twenty-five was the year that established me today. That year, was the first time I saw the grandeur of the sky. I left Vietnam. At the age of twenty-five, I went abroad to Thai Land for my MBA. The distance is short but the freedom lay beyond my ability to comprehend. It was the first time I knew the antonym of communism, the guarantee of human rights and the definition of liberty. It amazes me how only a brief moment determined my life mission. My aim is to use education as a way to spread freedom and inspired the critical thinking in young Vietnamese.

At twenty-nine, I continued my journey to the States to pursue my Ph.D. After more than twenty years, I can still remember that day vividly. People were rushing through the gates, hugging, kissing and reuniting with their loved ones. While I was mesmerized by the advancement of the airport and lost among the crowd and their layers of suitcases.

In this country, I felt so small, yet I wasn’t scared, I was excited. I remember the fresh air of freedom, the smell of Starbucks morning coffee and Wendy’s savory burgers. I remember the silent street with no simultaneous honkings and no insane traffic that everyone viewed as a battle. And I remember the glistening leaves under the bright, warm sun of August 2002.

And after five years, on that same road, the flowers bloomed, the silence is still there, but in the passenger seat, was a different me. I, of 2007, was knowledgeable, experienced and believed in democracy. I no longer am at the mercy of ignorance and the products that they once made me. In another sense, I am the error in their perfect system and I am proud of it. Different from the expectations, I came back to Vietnam with the mission to change my country.

Saigon was still her old self with incessant honkings and insane traffic with polluted grey smoke coming from the motorbikes, with her dishonest politicians and ignorant people. My family was communist but different than others, they were always open-minded, a trait I always take for granted. After coming home, they were the very first people who I changed with the Western ideologies of freedom and human rights.

After coming home, I received offers after offers to join the communist party. As it was a norm, I declined one after another. With my Ph.D. in hand, I got accepted to Vietnam ’s top university as a professor. In this environment, I set myself to change this system and apply Western ideologies in my teachings. I ignored the predetermined plan, the suppression and the rules to teach my students' critical thinking, morality and, let them see the world from another perspective, one that doesn’t have censorship. I guided them to find their own voice in this corrupted society.

And as time went on, I was promoted to vice principal. And once again I was asked to join the party, but this time it was mandatory for me because I held a position that could potentially affect the government. Many nights, I twisted and turn in my bed and as the bed sheet scrubs against me, they created friction that burns my skin. Yet, I didn’t notice, it was my heart aching and the butterflies in my stomach that kept me from sleeping. After much hesitation, I decided to join the party, regardless of my resentment toward the system and its ideas, but I believed that through this position, I can have more impact. Despite the monthly suffocating meeting of the party, I was never influenced by their ideologies because I stayed true to my beliefs. In those five years at the university, I was chained by the rules of the party and I realized that I’m not influencing anyone if my own freedom is withdrawn. There were times when the party had gave me warnings for my posts on Facebook, promoting the freedom of speech. Eventually, I reached my limit and can no longer fight this internal battle, it was the end. I quit.

A new chapter started in my life. I don’t have the high position nor a career, but I have my beliefs, my esteem, and my freedom. My life has finally begun, and my only hope is that I can continue to become a teacher, who inspire young adults to raise their voice. It is the time for the new generation to bring the country to right. As for me, I am no longer a bird in a cage but a free bird flying across the endless blue sky.


The author's comments:

This is a personal essay that I interviewed and wrote in the perspective of my dad’s friend, Dung. I chose him because my dad had always told me stories about his life when I was young and from there I develop a great curiosity about him. He was raised in a communist community but being exposed to western culture and earning a Ph.D. in the States changed his perspectives of life. But what amazes me more was his love for the country and his courage when he had to fight his internal battle in order to change his community. I learned that only knowledge and education can give a person his or her individual freedom.