The Impact of 9/11 on the United States | Teen Ink

The Impact of 9/11 on the United States

By Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York

I know nothing, but of miracles.

Essay Topic: How did the events September 11, 2001 impact the United States?

The life-alternating occurrence of the 9/11 attacks has left an emotional scar on the face of America, impacting the U.S. government to tighten our political, foreign, and economic policies. The consequences of 9/11 impacted everything from the U.S. stock market, to homeland security, to international and national relations.

A day as horrendous as the one on September 11, 2001 has descended into from the deepest depths of nightmare into that of a reality, an intense era of grief, suspension, pain, and fear. The casualties of 9/11 have almost reached 3,000 for immediate deaths, not counting those who had died as a result of toxic exposure. Even more than a decade since the traumatic attack, the families and friends of the victims are still grieving, still wanting to remember. A goal of the attack was to break America, yet the majority of us are still surviving. “Even a broken heart can still keep beating.” In a sense, American patriotism had increased, millions of visitors coming every year to the World Trade Center to honor the loved and brave ones, lost in the destruction. Several countries all over the world have expressed their aid and concern to the U.S., mass media and international diplomats condemning the attacks, along with providing empathy for the tragedy, proving it could extend beyond American soil. However, this didn’t mean that every part of American was healthy, not full of anger or pain. Not all international relationships held the same level of cordiality, as the percentage for crimes of hate against Muslims and South Asians increased in the aftermath of 9/11, reported causes of harassment, violence, and even murder surfacing from prejudice and fear. Following the incidents, the U.S. has developed a heightened sense of suspicion toward immigrants, and even born U.S. citizens of Middle-Eastern descent and heritage.

September 11 not only provoked the emotional state of America’s citizens, but also led to changes in the U.S.’s economic and political policies. Immediately after September 11, stock exchanges were shut down, until September 17 leading to a severe point drop, the largest one-week point drop in history, ultimately losing $1.4 trillion in 2001 U.S. stock value. Additionally, dramatic changes in government spending were triggered as well, funds going to the manifestation of the Department of Homeland Security and military regiments, while also decreasing funds for domestic programs, such as healthcare and education. Along with these actions, America responded with increased precautions to terrorist response, installing the Homeland Security Act and Patriot Act. Thorough pat-downs and full body scans have joined the paranoia of the stringent security systems in U.S. airports, ports, trains, borders, and government buildings. Though this led to increase safety percentages of these patrons, it also sparked controversial critics from even American citizens, who’d felt their privacy was being invaded, and racial profiling for those appearing of middle-eastern backgrounds. Additionally, the terrorist attack influenced the creation of the international military campaign, Global War on Terror or War on Terrorism, initially an armed response to terrorist organizations and individuals, particularly Islam militants, such as Osama Bin Laden. Furthermore, such military operations can include the manhunt for leader of al-Qaeda, which lasted approximately 10 years until bin Laden’s death by American soldiers in Abbottabad, Pakistan on May 1, 2011.

On September 11, 2001 four suicide terrorist attacks were launched in New York City at the World Trade Center, causing the destruction of the Twin Towers, and thousands of casualties, consisting of several civilian victims and the members of NYPD and FDNY who intercepted in its rescue missions. Since then the toll of 9/11 has shown its face in U.S. economy, causing the 2001 New York stocks drop of value, contributing to the U.S. debt ceiling situation, and focusing funding on military and Homeland security installments. The U.S. had turned more cynical, favoring suspicion and distrust, over naivety in order to prevent further attacks; targeting several innocuous people out of racial bias and profiling, in order to feel safer about themselves. However, America has also fostered a close consciousness of community after the events, united, rather than silvered, in common compassion and sympathy for the victims and the survivors of the heartbreak. Due to be finished in the year 2013 is the Freedom Tower, a skyscraper hoping to embody the industrialist strength of America and hope for a brighter future. As of As Colin Powell proclaimed, "You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this tragedy."

My AP US teacher asked us to write an assignment to be handed in on September 11, 2012. I hoped I have written without dogmatic bias or inaccurate facts. Please give some comments.