A FUTURE DECIMATED BY THE PAST; THE TRUE CAUSE OF DRUG ABUSE IN HIGH SCHOOL | Teen Ink

A FUTURE DECIMATED BY THE PAST; THE TRUE CAUSE OF DRUG ABUSE IN HIGH SCHOOL

By krishnak BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario
krishnak BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario

What distinguishes one teenager from another - lifestyle choices, judgment, or perhaps popularity? The extent of their desires to distinguish themselves from the crowd can be outstanding, but at times for the wrong reasons. A prolonged issue without any current resolution, Drug Abuse especially in High Schools has threatened the innocence and judgment of teenagers across the world. Harvey Milkman, a professor at the Metropolitan State University of Denver states "Drug Abuse stemmed from different personality traits in teenagers causing some to cope with stress and indulge in passive withdrawal, while the extroverted wished to increase their level of active confrontation with their environment." Nevertheless, many nations have restricted if not banned most recreational drugs for the general public, yet teenagers are still able to gain these substances in their possession. And in a progressive nation like Canada, which continuously strives for the well-being of the future generation, rests a grave issue, the impact of drugs on high school students. Teenagers have seemingly begun to mature in high school evolving like adults and with added responsibility, they begin to function like adults too. However, certain parts of the teenage mind are still in development, including the brain circuits that govern impulses and judgment, while reward centers are being maximized causing teens to be prone to experimenting with drugs and alcohol.

According to the Canadian Addictions Survey conducted in 2005, nearly 62% of youth aged 15-17 engaged in an early use of alcohol and 29.2% in early cannabis use in the 12 months prior to the survey. The survey also shows that compared to earlier studies, the age of first use tends to be lower. Both cannabis and alcohol are addictive depressants that suppress the central nervous system, ridding the mind of any thoughts, feelings, or emotions at that very moment. Drugs Free Kids Canada deemed kids may use alcohol to help them relax or deal with stress or anxiety they may feel. Cannabis similarly resorts to the same cause, a stress reliever. So what makes a drug such as cannabis or alcohol, banned for younger ages so abundant in sources for high school students? It stems from the roots of their beginnings, in elementary and middle school. Students who have continuously faced academic failure have an increased risk of both drug use and delinquency. On the contrary, those students who take a liking to school, time spent on homework, and perceive schoolwork as relevant are negatively related to drug use. The urge for drugs begins in the household. Whether it's a negative role model, or a lack of faith in the individual which forces them to rely on external factors for satisfaction, in this case, drugs. A study conducted by Public Safety Canada concluded that at the level of the family it was found that parents who use illegal drugs, are heavy users of alcohol, or are tolerant of children's use, have children who are more likely to use drugs themselves. They also deemed other risk factors in the family domain are lack of family bonding causing poor relationships, parental management over the child’s well-being, and family disturbance or conflicts. All of these events pose a serious risk to the development of the child’s mindset and approach to the sense of their lifestyle choices. With an increase in demand, some students will approach this issue as an opportunity to gain revenue from drug sales, thus entering the black market.

The overall High school experience can be perceived from many different perspectives. Whether it’s positive, negative, or mediocre, entering high school can have it all from social bullying issues to the fiercest competition for academic dominance. What many have left out are the side effects of a new life which has become increasingly demanding with the workload and managing it between other important sectors of life. In 2021, over 60% of students who responded reported experiencing above-average stress within the past 12 months (on an adjectival five-point scale ranging from “no stress” to “tremendous stress”), while 69% reported “overwhelming anxiety” and 52% reported feeling “so depressed it was difficult to function”. The stress has hindered many and yet is never openly addressed due to the fact that it may seem embarrassing that an individual is not able to handle the difficulties in high school. Some may even question their capability of carrying on with their lives after high school.

Many may at first disregard their emotions and find methods in suppressing them. In a High School environment, feeling lonely and left out is a common emotion felt by many. Among youth aged 15 to 24 years, nearly one in four (23%) said they always or often felt lonely. Studies from Western University have concluded that the portrayal of normality regarding loneliness through the media during the covid-19 pandemic so teens and seniors who are most impacted by loneliness feel it’s more acceptable for people to talk about it and to accept that’s what they may be feeling. In order to suppress these emotions, the impacted turn to drugs, and other sources of mood. At this point, a common thought many may have is questioning the strength of drugs, is it the ability to restrain emotions while proving to be highly addictive? Relying on external items that bring those affected joy and calmness increases the level of dopamine and serotonin in the brain. These chemical neurotransmitters can force an individual to feel dependent on the sensation of pleasure and happiness. Similar to that of a drug, the brain continues to demand a constant supply of these external pleasures, which in many cases are drugs. Furthermore, the National Institute on Drug Abuse reports drugs to be more addictive than natural rewards due to the increased tolerance forcing a high amount of the drug to be consumed in order to feel the later effects of the impact of the drug on the central nervous system, approaching a drug overdose and sooner death.

Evidently, teenagers facing drug abuse lack optimism, due to past experiences in their lives which obstruct the ability to gain natural rewards, feelings, and emotions. Following a good example and role model is a critical aspect of the teenager’s life, guiding them on the right path and influencing lifestyle choices. Healthy alternatives to substance abuse can also be a sense of controlling the reward center of a teenage mind, including sports or other vigorous physical activities. Overall, initiating conversations with teenagers regarding drugs and substance abuse will prepare them to face peer pressure in school however their own individual judgment is crucial in order to stay clear of abusing drugs and alcohol in high school.

Bibliography

New Loneliness Numbers 'not a fluke': Western expert. Western News. 2021, December 7. news.westernu.ca/2021/11/canadian-lonely-in-good-company/ 

Government of Canada, S. C. You are not alone. Statistics Canada. 2022, January 26. statcan.gc.ca/o1/en/plus/274-you-are-not-alone 

Government of Canada, S. C. Canadian social survey: Loneliness in Canada. The Daily - . 2021, November 24. www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/211124/dq211124e-eng.htm 

Canada, P. S. School-Based Drug Abuse Prevention: Promising and sucessful programs. School-Based Drug Abuse Prevention: Promising and Sucessful Programs. 2018, January 31. publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/sclbsd-drgbs/index-en.aspx 

Anderssen, E. Number of ontario teens with psychological distress rising at alarming rate: Study. The Globe and Mail. 2016, July 21. theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/number-of-ontario-teens-with-psychological-distress-rising-at-alarming-rate/article31042541/ 

Drugs, Alcohol & Mental Health. How do drugs and alcohol affect mental health? (2019) rethink.org/advice-and-information/about-mental-illness/learn-more-about-conditions/drugs-alcohol-and-mental-health/ 

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Drugs and the brain. National Institutes of Health. 2022, March 22. nida.nih.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drugs-brain#:~:text=Other%20drugs%2C%20such%20as%20amphetamine,the%20normal%20communication%20between%20neurons. 

Wbur. How an American helped Iceland fix its teen substance abuse problem. How An American Helped Iceland Fix Its Teen Substance Abuse Problem | Here & Now. 2017, March 9. wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/03/09/iceland-teen-substance-abu

Soldo, A. Iceland's radical transformation of teen substance use. Natural High. 2022, May 15. naturalhigh.org/icelands-radical-transformation-of-teen-substance-use/#:~:text=They'd%20discovered%20a%20proven,with%20drunk%20and%20stoned%20kids. 

The Iceland model: Turning around the Teen Drug Problem. Sandstone Care. 2017, August 7. sandstonecare.com/blog/iceland-turned-around-teen-drug-problem 

Alcohol. Drug Free Kids Canada. (2018) drugfreekidscanada.org/prevention/drug-spotlights/alcohol/ 

Youth and alcohol (LRDG summary). Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction. (2022) ccsa.ca/youth-and-alcohol-lrdg-summary 

Young, E. How Iceland got teens to say no to drugs. The Atlantic. 2017, January 19. theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/01/teens-drugs-iceland/513668/ 

Tadmin. 8 reasons why teens use drugs. Turnbridge. 2021, January 26. turnbridge.com/news-events/latest-articles/why-do-teens-use-drugs/# 

Krishna, the author of this work, is currently a high school student from Canada. His passions have been life science and medicine and as a result, he wrote this article following extensive research looking at teenagers in Canada and the effect of drug abuse on their lives.