The Role of Makeup in Modern Society | Teen Ink

The Role of Makeup in Modern Society

What does makeup mean to the average person? Perhaps a swipe of mascara on the eyelashes and a coat of lip gloss. Maybe a bit of concealer to hide acne or red lipstick for formal events. Its use has evolved throughout history, from the ancient Egyptians' use of kohl to the Elizabethan lead powder for bone-white skin to modern cosmetics. Makeup can enhance appearance and confidence, but it can just as well deplete self-esteem levels when comparing oneself to others. Whether one uses it or not, it is undeniable that makeup plays a large part in outer image and society.

In modern society, conventional makeup for women includes foundation, red lipstick, and mascara, among other products. Deviating from the typical colors and styles of makeup is not easy, however. Though social media and public figures often encourage the public to express themselves, ordinary folks often receive criticism when their tastes do not fit cultural norms. This cycle where most people follow the same trends until someone disrupts the pattern has been repeating for a long time. Individuals who stray too far from these trends are left in the dust and begin to question whether they should stay true to themselves (and be constantly judged) or comply with the current fashion (and be able to live a more normal life). Moreover, beauty brands have taken advantage of the fact that people have always tried to conform to the beauty standard. And although makeup is often touted as a form of self-expression, it really isn’t if everyone wears the same style of makeup.

And why does makeup have to be so gendered? A few centuries ago, men felt completely at ease wearing makeup in everyday life. The definitions of masculinity and femininity are not clear-cut- they are “social constructions of a gendered society” that have changed throughout history (Richards). Yet if ordinary men put on makeup, they are seen as “pretty boys” and are labeled as gay (as if that were an insult). This is harmful to both groups because it continues asserting stereotypes of how a man must act to be taken seriously. For example, though the K-pop genre has played a role in changing attitudes on gender, Westerners still have a hard time accepting K-pop boy bands in part because of their makeup-laden appearance, which is perceived to be effeminate in Western culture. This mentality contributes to why our society still embraces masculine men and rejects their less masculine counterparts. Along with this, most male makeup brands use neutral-colored packaging, “reproducing the [notion that] masculinity is neutral, and femininity is excess” (Pandika). Noting the limited range of colors and products these brands offer, it seems that it is only being marketed to one group in particular- straight white men. Despite this, progress is being made. Younger generations readily embrace gender fluidity and are more open-minded than older generations. Makeup on men is slowly becoming destigmatized, and more and more brands cater to them than ever before.

Most importantly, though it can fuel arguments between people who use it or go au naturel, makeup is a personal choice. “For some women, makeup will always be something that should be applied before leaving the house, and for others, it's unnecessary and offensive” (Edmonds). However, almost everyone can agree that the decision can be a source of self-confidence. Those who wear makeup hold that it's an art form that lets the world see the best version of yourself, or at least the version you want others to see. Makeup can highlight the features one wants to emphasize and transform one into another person. On the other hand, those who go makeup-free maintain that they are showing their true selves to their peers, not hiding how they look or presenting a facade. They may argue that makeup is a waste of time and money and only serves to strengthen the power of the beauty industry, or that it reinforces gender norms instead of challenging them. One thing is clear- it is too easy to look at the other side and judge externally. 

All of these implications are important because there is no definitive answer to these questions. While it's easy to tell people to express themselves however they wish, in reality, most people feel the need to blend in for fear of being judged by those around them, whether it be friends, family, or even strangers. The thing is, makeup is just makeup. We as a society choose what value to assign to it when we consciously decide whether to use it or not. We must persist in asking questions and looking deeper into these issues, because slowly but surely, these small changes will add up to reduce the pressure we all feel to conform. If more and more of us continue to challenge the norms, the mainstream mindset will change to be more inclusive of all looks, regardless of whether one chooses to apply makeup or go makeup-free.

Hi, I'm Isabelle, an Asian-American high school junior from Southern California. I wrote this piece after many a long night of pondering. I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed creating it.