Romeo: A Knight in Whining Armor | Teen Ink

Romeo: A Knight in Whining Armor

July 21, 2021
By StuffedEeyore GOLD, Fremont, California
StuffedEeyore GOLD, Fremont, California
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In Act 1 Scene 1 of the play Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare, Romeo is egocentric. For example, after Benvolio comforts Romeo, Romeo speaks about the negative side of love, “Which thou wilt propagate, to have it prest / With more of thine. This love that thou hast shown / Doth add more grief to too much of mine own” (1.1.187-189). Romeo is addicted to speaking of how sad he is. He constantly complains about how the world obstructs and intrudes on his life because it allows him to play a victim. If he plays the victim, he feels a special kind of power by thinking he is almighty and above all else in the world.  For instance, after Benvolio insists on going somewhere with Romeo, Romeo replies, “Tut! I have lost myself; I am not here: / This is not Romeo, he’s some otherwhere” (1.1.198-199). Romeo is making it seem like he is dead in his heart and soul. He is overdramatizing his current state for attention, similar to how little children pretend to be hurt or ill simply for a couple of moments in the spotlight. Romeo turns a twisted ankle into broken ribs by overdramatizing the pain and severity of his problems. Moreover, when Benvolio asks Romeo if Rosaline is chaste, Romeo says, “She hath, and in that sparing makes a huge waste; / For beauty, starv’d with her severity, / Cuts beauty off from all posterity” (1.1.220-222). Romeo does not respect and truly understand the wishes of Rosaline. He immediately makes himself the sufferer of her life choices and condemns her because it is inconvenient for him and impedes on his plans. He thinks that the world revolves around him and everyone else should adjust their lives so that he can be happy and satisfied; never considering their feelings and desires. The conversation between Benvolio and Romeo proves Romeo, supposedly the best lover of all time, to actually be a self-centered little boy.