Pianoforte; The Soft Instrument Revealing Loud Characters in Pride and Prejudice | Teen Ink

Pianoforte; The Soft Instrument Revealing Loud Characters in Pride and Prejudice

By corn-on-a-cob GOLD, Racine, Wisconsin
corn-on-a-cob GOLD, Racine, Wisconsin

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

Lady Catherine de Bourgh and Miss Elizabeth Bennet from Austen’s Pride and Prejudice both have strong, but vastly different characters. Lady Catherine de Bourgh is an old, wealthy, condescending, pompous, and self-absorbed widow, who is liberal in conversation, but never in compassion. Miss Bennet, on the other hand, is youthful in spirit and age, propper in all of the necessary manners, and an independent thinker. Without being able to talk to either woman for much time, how can we observe all of this about their characters? Is there an activity that both of them take part in that would allow us to observe them? The only activity of this nature is not in their lettering style, nor in fashion, but in music - how they play the pianoforte.

After the development of the pianoforte, a more user-friendly version of it’s cousin, the harpsichord, in the 1700s, it soon became an important staple in society. In the eighteenth century, women, especially young women, had little to no means of expressing themselves, other than speech, so many turned to this instrument as a means for self expression. One’s skill at the pianoforte, more commonly known as the piano, affected not only their status in society, but also their odds at marriage; since at that time a wife was a man’s accessory, so in order to have hopes of a wealthy husband, proficiency at the piano was a necessity. 

The piano was unique in the aspect of emotion, as it was the first instrument that created an opportunity for deep feelings to be broadcasted through sound. But that was not the full extent of opportunities it created, for it also provided a young man and woman the opportunity to talk to each other without many ears listening in to their conversation, as the music would muffle the words to any evesdroppers. While Miss Bennet was playing the piano at Rosings, Mr. Darcy, Lady Catherine’s nephew, who took fancy upon her, made “with his usual deliberation towards the pianoforte stationed himself so as to command a full view of the fair performer’s countenance.”(Austen, 142)

Darcy’s sister, Georgina, known for her looks and well breeding, notably has “Such countenance, such manners! And so extremely accomplished for her age! Her performance on the pianoforte is exquisite.” (Austen, 32) according to Darcy’s friend, Mr. Bingley, who then continues to admire how accomplished and patient all young ladies must be to be so proficient in the piano.

However, acquiring said proficiency to enjoyably play the piano is no easy feat. Afterall, there are two bridges one must cross to play the piano; knowledge and emotion. Without the ability to read notes, listen to music, and understand melodies, one cannot hope to make great strides of accomplishment in this instrument - but once one crosses the bridge of knowledge, the tormentous waters will subside. In the process of crossing this bridge, one must simultaneously cross the bridge of emotion, conquering impatience, stubbornness, and pride. Upon crossing both of these bridges, then, and only then, can one claim proficiency in the piano. But, how can one’s piano playing reflect their character?

Lady Catherine de Bourgh, though uneducated in playing the piano, claims; “There are few people in England, I suppose, who have more true enjoyment of music than myself, or a better natural taste. If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.” (Austen 142) This reflects her high status in society, as the noblest folk have the best taste in music, as well as her pompous nature, granted that she herself has not the slightest idea of the difficulties of learning an instrument such as the piano. 

After an exchange of comments about talents in conversation and the piano, Miss Bennet remarks; “My fingers do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many women’s do. They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression. But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault - because I will not take the trouble of practising. It is not that I do not believe my fingers as capable of any other woman’s of superior execution.” (Austen, 143,144) This not only reflects the self-awareness of Elizabeth, but also her humility, youthful spirit, and mannerism. 

Lady Catherine is known to be very little self aware, talking ceaselessly on any subject that pleases her to ears that will listen. Miss Bennet, on the other hand, is far more self aware and reserved. While this may have to do with the age difference, as the elderly generally have more subjects to talk about than younger people, this difference perhaps is because Lady Catherine has not learnt to play the piano. The reason being is that the self-awareness of one’s fingers, feet, posture, and eyes, and sound, is magnified while playing the piano. If one leaves their feet on the ground right up to the point where they need to use the pedal, their music will not sound as good as if they had prepared it moments ahead of time. 

While one can argue Miss Bennet is more at peace with her thoughts, and that is why she does not speak as much, it is not the case. Practicing the piano for hours on end, likely in silence, teaches comfort in science and one’s own headspace, while still keeping your thoughts fluid and lively. This aspect of Miss Bennet’s character was notably developed through crossing the two bridges while learning to play the piano, and makes her a more enjoyable companion in conversation than Lady Catherine de bourgh.

Lady Catherine rarely shares her music taste or suggests a song to be played, whereas Miss Bennet readily plays the piano for any and all who would listen. While Lady Catherine readily shares her material wealth, inviting her close connections of lower social status for evening dinner and cards frequently, she only speaks of her good taste in music, but rarely does she suggest a song to play. 

Miss Bennet, though with much less material property, has a generous heart of gold, willing to hold a conversation or play the piano for anybody. This reflects her generosity and compassion for other people, and contrasts herself from Lady Catherine, whose only real concern is herself and her closest connections. 

Lady Catherine de Bourgh and Miss Elizabeth Bennet’s loud, contrasting characters in Pride and Prejudice can be further magnified and inspected by looking at music, at the piano. This instrument is able to reveal the inward, prideful, and overbearing nature of Lady Catherine, and also the humble, joyful, and simple nature of Miss Bennet. The manner in which one goes about crossing the two bridges of knowledge and emotion to reach proficiency in the piano speak much about their inward self, perhaps even more than their social interactions with the people around them. 

It is well known that Jane Austen herself enjoyed and practiced the piano, like Miss Bennet and Miss Darcy, Austen was an accomplished pianist, which allowed her to channel much of her insight from the instrument into her characters. After crossing the bridge of knowledge and the bridge of emotion, Jane Austen was able to incorporate her observations of character and personality of a person in relation to their musical style and capabilities into her beloved characters in not only Pride and Prejudice, but also Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. It turns out, the soft instrument of the piano reveals loud characters in those who sit down to play.

Work Cited

Austen, Jane. Canterbury Classics. Peter Norton, 2012. 

Jane Austen's use of the piano in her work not only reveals the societal importance of the instrument in her time, but also the characters in her works.