Rectifying Religious conflict | Teen Ink

Rectifying Religious conflict

By snygren BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
snygren BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

Rectifying Religious Conflict

The name of my saint is St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross or St. Edith Stein. St. Edith Stein is the patron Saint of Europe. Her feast day is August 9th, and she was born in Wrocław, Poland on the 12th of October in 1891. She was very smart and cared for other people even if they were of a different religion than her. She was Jewish until she was 14, then converted to  Catholicism and became a Discalced Carmelite nun. When she was alive she taught a catholic school of education in Speyer. She died on August 9th, 1932, she was put to death by poison gas in Auschwitz-Birkenau. She stuck with her family and helped save others who were not of the same religion as her in doing so she was killed. 

The contemporary issue is  religious conflict. Religious conflict is when followers of a religion try to impose their beliefs on another religion and express their hate for another religion. There is a lot of this going on in the world today where people can’t openly talk about their religion without fear of getting in trouble because of this. Many people hate other religions because they simply don’t believe in the same thing as them. This isn’t saying that all followers of a religion are hateful towards others for their beliefs. Some people are very accepting of others and their beliefs. People should be able to go out and freely talk about their religion. Nothing big is being done to help stop the persecution but many people have protested against it. Some people in congress are trying to end the persecution but it probably won’t end because there is so much hate in the world. You should be allowed to talk about your beliefs but don’t try to force it on to others who believe in different things. If there wasn’t so much hate in the world, religious conflict would not exist.

St. Teresa Benedicta went through many conflicts throughout her life, one being similar to the issue we chose: Religious Conflict. St. Teresa was born Jewish along with her family, and they ended up suffering greatly because of it. If Edith was alive today she would have a lot of potentials to help people suffering from this issue because she could relate to it personally. She would probably have a lot to say about people’s rights, and she might even be a little disappointed because it is still a huge problem. She would be acting on this subject by peacefully protesting or speaking publicly about it in mass or even in the streets. She also might start a website or foundation to help support all people suffering, and could even reach out to the pope to make more rights possible. Edith would take this situation and act on it to make religious rights possible to all people, and protest with words saying how wrong and terrible it is to discriminate against someone for what they believe in. She would try her best to make right in this world even if it means sacrificing something important to her. St. Teresa Benedicta of the cross or Edith Stein was a courageous, holy, and determined woman who would make a difference wherever she went and would help a major problem in today’s world. 

It is about a saint and what she would do to help abolish religious conflict.