Animal Farm: My Personal Connection to Boxer | Teen Ink

Animal Farm: My Personal Connection to Boxer

By SelinaWu SILVER, Haverford, Pennsylvania
SelinaWu SILVER, Haverford, Pennsylvania

In George Orwell’s 1945 novel Animal Farm, I felt drawn to Boxer’s character. As the hardest working and most loyal character of the book, he does not deserve the ending he receives. Underscored by Boxer's motto, "I must work harder," he unquestionably does not go easy on himself. Animal Farm is a book full of symbols and I acknowledged Boxer as the symbol for overworked employees who not only work for themselves but also others. Since Boxer is the strongest in his community of animals, he takes it upon himself to do the most work. However, without such members in a community, it would be arduous to get anything done; as Orwell writes on page 61, “Nothing could have been achieved without Boxer, whose strength seemed equal to that if all the rest of the animals put together.” Without people like Boxer to set an example and inspire others, then big projects might never be accomplished if everyone just sits around. As stated in the book, “Other animals found more inspiration in Boxer’s strength and his never-failing cry of “I will work harder!”(Orwell 74). The scene I chose was not one of the more pivotal ones in the story; however, from this scene, I learned more about Boxer as a horse than I had throughout the whole book.

"After his hoof had healed up, Boxer worked harder than ever [...] Sometimes the long hours on insufficient food were hard to bear, but Boxer never faltered. [...] his hide was less shiny than it had used to be, and his great haunches seemed to have shrunken. The others said, "Boxer will pick up when the spring grass comes on"; but the spring came and Boxer grew no fatter. [...], it seemed that nothing kept him on his feet except the will to continue. At such times his lips were seen to form the words, "I will work harder "; he had no voice left. Once again Clover and Benjamin warned him to take care of his health, but Boxer paid no attention. [...] He did not care what happened so long as a good store of stone was accumulated before he went on pension." (Orwell 118)

If the pigs were the brains of the animal community, then Boxer was the muscle. He never genuinely thinks for himself, but rather for the whole community --- even when his health is at risk. After The Battle of The Cowshed, Boxer is injured. Nevertheless, he pushes himself to work harder on the windmill than anyone else. Though he grows frailer with age, his diligence and determination do not. Even at times when he has no voice left, he still mutters the words "I will work harder." 

I personally relate to Boxer for his selflessness towards his community.  To me, being selfless is normal. It is what’s expected of me. Does being selfless mean putting others before myself? For Boxer and I, the answer would be yes. Boxer always put his community first, and because he is the strongest on the farm, he accepts it as his responsibility to do the utmost. In a more general sense, he works towards his death so no one else has to. I always put my friends first, and because I was always taught to be nice to others, I take it as my responsibility to consider others in order to be the bigger person. Though my sacrifices have not been as immense as Boxer's, I understand the feeling that you are expectant of certain qualities just because you are selfless. Being "selfless" used to be one of my favorite qualities about myself. It made me seem friendly, congenial, and easygoing. Slowly, over time, that was what people expected of me, a laid back person who would do anything for her friends. Somewhere along the line, being "selfless" stopped being an option. It became a requirement. A requirement that I was responsible for filling. In the future, I hope it becomes less of a requirement and more of an option.

Instead of being drawn to characters such as Napoleon or even Snowball, I felt most drawn to Boxer. Perhaps it was his stubborn persistence of a good attitude at life, I couldn't help but shed a tear (or a whole tissue box full) when my favorite hardworking & naive character died due to his innocence of the cruel world around him. I wrote this piece to not only honor the memory of Boxer but also show the connection I felt with his character - my struggle with being too "nice" to the point where I almost lose myself.