Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By mcb1423 PLATINUM, Sussex, Wisconsin
mcb1423 PLATINUM, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Welcome home! I honor your sacrifice, strength, and unselfishness. Although the war has been over for 43 years, I can’t imagine the pain and suffering you deal with. The way you were treated when you came home from the war is heart wrenching and unimaginable.

I am a senior in high school. I recently watched the Honor Flight movie and wanted to reach out and express how much I honor you and the other veterans, especially Vietnam Veterans. I can’t imagine how it felt to come home from fighting and risking your life for your country to members of the country disrespecting you. Not only did strangers disapprove of the war, but your own family members may have ignored you and shamed you for participating. I, however, admire you, and your time served has not gone unnoticed.

I am turning 18 in May, and I cannot imagine being drafted. Being forced to leave the safety of my home, my family, and my friends is unthinkable. For that, I respect your bravery and sacrifice.

My previous basketball coach served as a Marine in Gulf War, Iraq. He has taught me that life is so much more than winning or losing a game. Life is about reaching goals, helping others, and being the best person you can be. In my eyes, you have exceeded these expectations.

Another man I look up to is my friend's grandpa, the owner of the warehouse where I play softball in the winter. He is a Vietnam Veteran, and is one of the most soft spoken, supportive people I know. He has taught me that no matter how hard the past was, you must stay optimistic and never give up on your goals and dreams. I hope you see the impact you have had on Americans, or at least know that I admire your bravery and commitment.

I hope your Honor Flight was memorable and all you hoped it would be. This day is meant to show how grateful Americans are for your sacrifice, strength, and unselfishness. With that being said, welcome home, Veteran!

Sincerely,
A High School Senior