Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

March 6, 2017
By ngf16 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ngf16 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

It is your honorable service, that has provided each citizen of this nation with the privilege of choice. To me, choice is the most powerful of all freedoms. My name is Natalie and I am a junior in high school. Though I’m young, I am still able to appreciate the sacrifices you have made to maintain this country’s beautiful foundation of freedom. For these sacrifices, I personally want to thank you.

Serving this country is a sacrifice that is unimaginable to any who have not done so. I can only imagine what it must be like to be taken from home, disciplined to physical condition that is built to endure war, and thrown into dark and war-struck towns to fight for our freedom. I imagine what I can see happening to those who choose to make this sacrifice. However the things I cannot see do not strike me in the same way as the things that are so obvious. These internal things that may be harder to realize include the separation from family and loved ones, the lack of normalcy in life, and the loss of the comfort of safety. All veterans chose to give these privileges up, in order to protect these comforts for the rest of the nation. The sacrifice made by veterans strengthens my faith in the integrity of Americans, and their willingness to risk their lives for the freedoms of others.

The freedom of choice is the foundation that this nation is built upon. Without you, there would be no foundation. Without you, there would be no ability to grow. Without you, the United States would be at a standstill.

Thank you for allowing me to decide that I would like to further my education and go to college. Thank you for allowing me to choose my career. Thank you for fighting for my freedom to choose what I do and who I am. It is due to your brave sacrifice that I am able to make my life my own, and that is an honor I will never be able to repay you for.

Sincerely,
Natalie