Sikhism | Teen Ink

Sikhism

By Hareet SILVER, Brampton , Other
Hareet SILVER, Brampton , Other

Sikhism is not only following the five K’s or reading the Guru Granth Sahib Ji; it’s about being a good person in general by helping others regardless of religion and trying to be the best you that you can be. In Brampton, the number of Sikhs settling here has grown greatly and many of them are making a difference in our society as well as the world. Many Sikhs are renown in our world today for all the good they’ve done and accomplished. Even though the treatment of Sikhs has gotten better and even Justin Trudeau (the Prime Minister) has apologized about the Komagata Maru incident, there are still some places in the world where Sikhs are prosecuted because of their religion and the way they look. There are still many stereotypes and perceptions about Sikhs that haven’t disappeared over the many years. Sikhs are now cutting their hair because of the pressure to fit in with the crowd so that people won’t make fun of them or judge them. Many Sikh are forgetting what Guru Nanak Dev Ji started in 1469 when he was born and are straying in the wrong directions and forfeiting to drugs, alcohol, and etc. To stop this from continuing, we have to keep up the tradition of reading and understanding the Guru Granth Sahib to teach children of their past ancestors and to teach them the difference of right and wrong. We also have to start preserving our religion by educating the future generations as well as our children about Sikhism through awareness groups and religious events. So next time you think you belong in this foreign world; you might want to think again because not everyone is in this world is your friend.

This piece relates back to the true me and how all religions are related in one way or another.