The Power of a Dream | Teen Ink

The Power of a Dream

April 19, 2014
By ClaireBearH PLATINUM, McLean, Virginia
ClaireBearH PLATINUM, McLean, Virginia
20 articles 6 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
Aristotle Onassis


Humans have always been inspired by our dreams and desires. The author Victor Hugo put it this way: "There is nothing like a dream to create the future.” The dreams of strong individuals have shaped the world and advanced society. Three successful Americans -- Walt Disney, Jesse Owens, and Harriet Tubman – had dreams that led to success by inspiring creativity, dedication, and courage.

From nightmares about monsters under the bed to daydreams about becoming the next president, the things we dream, whether while asleep or awake, are an expression of creativity. A master of whimsical drawings and characters, the artist Walt Disney exemplifies the importance of a dream. As a little boy, Walt Disney was always making imaginative drawings and forming new worlds. He sketched cartoons and pictures that he sold to family members and friends. As he got older, that childhood love of drawing led him to pursue a job as a newspaper cartoonist. Even after the small company he created with his brother failed, Disney did not give up on his dream. Now, Disney is heralded as one the greatest animators of all time. Over his lifetime, he won 22 academy awards and created characters that live on in cartoons and movies today. As he later remarked, “If you can dream it, you can do it”. Disney’s ingenuity allowed his childhood dream of being an artist to become a reality, leading him to enormous success.

The African-American athlete and winner of four Olympic gold medals, Jesse Owens, once declared, “We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort”. Owens knew all too well how much hard work it took to fulfill dreams. Growing up, this future star was weak and often ill. However, this frailty did not stop Owens from going to work to his support his family and discovering his love of running. In junior high, Owens practiced track every morning before school and worked in a shoe stand once classes were over. By high school, he was already a nationally recognized athlete. In 1935, he broke three world records and tied another, all while suffering a tail-bone injury. As an African American, Jesse Owens fought not only the physical ailments that hampered him, but also the barbs of racism, especially at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, Germany. After winning the 100-meter event, Owens faced jeers and boo’s while an angry Hitler stormed out of the box. Despite everything Owens faced, he never gave up on his dream. His dedication, hard-work, and perseverance enabled him to become one of the most famous runners the world has ever known.

Finally, dreams can give us the courage to face seemingly impossible odds, and ultimately, conquer them. Harriet Tubman fought her entire life for the end of slavery. Tubman grew up a slave, but at the age of 29 made her way to safety. Instead of being satisfied with her own freedom, Tubman had the courage to fight for the freedom of all slaves. She became part of the Underground Railroad, helping lead escaped slaves on the path to freedom. During the Civil War, she served as an armed scout and spy. She became the first women to lead an armed raid when she took part in the Combahee River Raid and freed more than 700 slaves. From her first escape to freedom to her actions in the war, Tubman’s entire life was fraught with danger. However, her dream of freedom gave her the strength to continue and fight for justice. Harriet Tubman perfectly explained the significance of dreams when she said, “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength…to change the world”. By courageously dreaming of equality for everyone, Harriet Tubman helped to change the world.

In conclusion, all dreams, whether great or small, has the power to lead an individual to success. Our dreams allow us to pursue creative outlets. They inspire us to dedicate time and hard work. Most importantly, when we dream, we develop the courage to face obstacles. Whatever your dream is, let it fuel your imagination, strengthen your resolve, give you courage, and inspire you to success.