What Veterans Day Means to Me | Teen Ink

What Veterans Day Means to Me

By Mikimouse888 PLATINUM, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin
Mikimouse888 PLATINUM, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin

Life isn't about the storm it's about learning to dance in the rain.

With tears staining your cheeks and pride swelling your heart, you smile for the cheering hundreds. The cameras pan the crowd, you see your family, arms raised, index fingers extended as they shout to you “you saved us, you helped give our country freedom!” You are a model of patriotism. Most of us will never know the exhilaration of going through all of that, risking your life, and witnessing people that are close to you die. But in our imaginations, we think we’ve gotten to the top but we still refuse to believe we are not there yet. Your world may be filled with challenges. No roaring crowds cheer YOU on for your valiant efforts to win this “game” called life. But wait...if you listen closely, you might be able to hear the faint sound of cheering. And as you open your heart to the possibilities, the cheers become louder and louder as you discover their source. You may not realize it but you are a rich person. Yes you! You posses a HUGE vault brimming with treasure. That vault was born from the brave soldiers who built that American freedom. Being a patriot honors that freedom and opportunity. You can withdraw assets from this vault whenever you want at absolutely no cost. Where is this vault? It is inside the caverns of your heart and mind. What treasures reside there? Memories. Memories are pictures of past events that can powerfully affect your present and future. There are those funny memories that make you laugh or smile, even now. Though the incident may have taken place years ago. You can have these memories because you have freedom. Then there are those terrifying memories that make you cry as you find yourself thinking about it. But there are certain kinds of memories that glisten like diamonds. They remind you that your life is rich with meaning and purpose-that you matter to other people and that other people matter to you. When your heart is heavy or you’re feeling all alone, open the door. Go ahead. Make all those withdrawals you want. You can’t delete the supply. In fact, you’re so rich you can loan some of your wealth to others. Oops, look out- you got a little gold dust on your smile. Do you describe yourself as a person of courage? I wouldn’t doubt if you do. Your image of courage has been shaped by risking your life, what you deserve and fighting for what you believe in. Real courage describes you to a tee. It takes courage to care about your family and friends enough to leave them and help out the world. It takes courage to complete what you start. It takes courage to confront weakness in your own life and in the lives of those loved and cared about people. Quite simply, it takes courage to live each day with integrity. Though you may not describe yourself as a person of courage, but look again-you may discover courageous feats of kindness or heroic manifestations of unconditional love and braveness. Enjoy yourself. These are the days you may miss in ten years. So put a smile on your face and be brave. Thank you for everything!