Unconscious | Teen Ink

Unconscious MAG

August 26, 2008
By Samaiya SILVER, Medellin, Other
Samaiya SILVER, Medellin, Other
7 articles 0 photos 9 comments

There was a dead girl in front of the library this morning. She was breathing, but she wasn’t alive. Whatever existence she’d had during her few years – I calculated she was around 13 – certainly wasn’t life. She was tossed carelessly on the trash-­littered sidewalk in front of a boarded-up doorway, drugged and utterly unconscious of the world around her. The filth and stench of the city were caked into her skin. She seemed part of the garbage she was ­lying in.

My home in Medellín, Colombia, has a lot of poverty. I’m used to seeing dirty, starving children begging in the streets, unkempt old men sleeping ­under newspapers, and hopeless teen­agers forgetting their pain in glue and needles.

But this … this was different.

The girl’s clothes were pulled high above her chest, ugly testimony to what had been done to her the night before. Person after person walked by. Boys leered. Children gaped and were pulled away by mothers who wrinkled their noses and quickened their pace. Not once did I see a trace of caring.

I knelt down and shook her gently.

She stirred and turned her head to me, and a grimace flashed across her face. I realized she was no child. All concept of age was erased from my mind. Perhaps she was barely a teenager; perhaps she was as old as humanity.

“Señora,” I said softly. A fly alighted on her cracked lips, and I brushed it away. Still she did not wake. I don’t know why I cared. Certainly no one else did. But I couldn’t leave her like that. I couldn’t. I should cover her. I reached out to pull down her shirt but retracted my hand. I had no right to touch her.

I knew what I had to do.

Even as I pulled the sweater over my head, I didn’t want to. I didn’t want to give my favorite sweater to someone who would just sell it for drugs. I didn’t want to care. But it was too late. Once you open your eyes and see reality, you can’t close them again that easily. And even though I wished I didn’t care, I did. She was a girl, my sister in ­humanity, a person just like me. God have mercy on us both.

I draped the sweater over her. The pulsating noise of the street suddenly quieted. The outside world ceased to exist, and a deafening ­silence enveloped us. Time slowed. The moment seemed eternal. We were the only ones in the universe – just me, the girl, and the dark blue sweater fluttering down in slow motion.

I had the sensation you get when you pull the sheet over the face of a corpse and say, muerto esta. The last fold of cloth settled on the gray cement, and suddenly time was once again going. I heard the rushing cars at my back, felt the burning sun, and smelled the filth. Nothing had changed.

I got up too quickly, nearly losing my balance. I needed to get away.

“La felicito,” an old man, who had apparently been watching me, said in congratulations. “Is it a little girl? So sad, so sad. What a shame.”

“Yeah … I don’t know,” I mumbled, hurrying away, horribly embarrassed that I’d been seen. Supposedly, when you do a good deed, you get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. But all I felt was a deep, aching sadness.

I used to believe those heart-warming stories about how people’s lives were changed by some small act of kindness. If this were one of those ­inspirational stories, years later we’d meet again. She would have risen from her poverty and pain, achieved success, and been converted to some nice religion. I’d be down about something, perhaps thinking that my life was worth nothing. On an impulse I’d step into a church and – voilà! – she’d be there giving her testimony about how she’d lived a totally empty and meaningless existence until her life had been changed by the act of a caring stranger who had covered her with a sweater.

And then I’d get up, with tears in my eyes, and shout, “I am that stranger!” And we’d hug and become best friends and I’d go home completely happy in the knowledge that my life had been good for something after all.

But this isn’t an inspirational story. The real world isn’t that nice. When the girl came out of her stupor, she probably wouldn’t even notice the sweater or wonder where it had come from. She’d use it to get more drugs. That night she would again sell her body and her soul, and the next day she would once more lie on the street with her shame open to the world. And my feeble act of caring would be worth nothing.

I headed down the street and sud­denly, to my disgust, found tears running down my face. I dashed them away, not knowing whether I was crying for that girl, my favorite sweater, or the fact that no one had cared.

I thought of the Jesus I’d been taught about in church. He would have cared, I think, if he’d been there. But he wasn’t there. I wished he were. It hurt.

People at church would tell me that he was there, that he’d cared through me.

I sighed. Maybe. Maybe.

But all the way home, the pain ­remained.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 482 comments.


KelliB GOLD said...
on May. 15 2012 at 11:39 am
KelliB GOLD, Amarillo, Texas
15 articles 1 photo 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
- Bill Cosby

amazingly sensitive and eye opening. God bless the that poor little girl and you for helping!

on May. 4 2012 at 2:17 pm
Nicole67 PLATINUM, Indianola, Washington
25 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else."
"we often put up walls not to keep people out, but to see who cares to get through"
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

wow! just. wow!

on Apr. 23 2012 at 1:06 pm
I dont like this piece it is very boring

A_Journey GOLD said...
on Mar. 10 2012 at 5:18 pm
A_Journey GOLD, Tampa, Florida
16 articles 2 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
The Muse of Poetry should not know that roses in manure grow. ~The Formula, Langston Hughes
You may write me down in history with your bitter, twisted ties. You may trod me in the very dirt, but still, like dirt, I rise. ~Still I Rise, Maya Angelou

This is so heart-wrenching and sad, but it is not bittersweet. You are an amazing writer and person. Giving your sweater to the girl might have not made a huge difference, but no matter how small, it made a positive one. 

on Feb. 17 2012 at 2:14 am
GingerLily BRONZE, Aulnay-sur-Mauldre, Other
3 articles 6 photos 78 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world" - Oscar Wilde

So. Heart-wrenchingly. Beautiful. Unfortunately, this is how the real world really is.

firecleansed said...
on Feb. 3 2012 at 9:37 am
firecleansed, West Jordan, Utah
0 articles 1 photo 60 comments
Great article that so much unfortunate truth in it.

on Jan. 31 2012 at 5:19 pm
JessIsTheBest BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hᴀᴘᴘɪɴᴇss ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇ ғᴏᴜɴᴅ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋᴇsᴛ ᴏғ ᴛɪᴍᴇs, ɪғ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ᴛᴜʀɴ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪɢʜᴛ - Dᴜᴍʙʟᴇᴅᴏʀᴇ

i totally agree with you, and the person below this :D

on Jan. 26 2012 at 4:13 pm
otherpoet SILVER, Wayland, Massachusetts
6 articles 9 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

Wow. So inspirational. You've done an amazing job at capturing your emotions. You should be happy, because even though you believe your sweater didn't make a difference, it showed that girl someone out there cares. That is worth the world. Great job, on both your piece and your actions.

on Jan. 13 2012 at 8:29 am
IWillDream54 GOLD, Amarillo, Texas
10 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Look out, they're coming after us with big guns,
They're only gonna tell you all the bad things I've done
Even if they words they say aren't true they've won,
Now I'm left here dying in the sun..."

This is incredible. You definately grasped my exact thoughts and feelings about "good deeds." The majority of the time, you do something good and noone notices or nothing comes of it. I also agree with you when you say that things don't turn out like in the movies, because life isn't one. You are obviously a good person, becasue I've seen things like this before and done what everyone does: turn your head and pretend that you didn't notice. This inspired me, ans you are an amazing writer. Keep it up please!

haggai said...
on Jan. 10 2012 at 3:07 am
wow thi is quite a masterpiece

on Jan. 4 2012 at 2:08 am
Ahmad-Mobeen GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other
11 articles 4 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
Understand life... Don't just STAND UNDER it!

Amazing! I'm speechless! It's very well written!

on Jan. 1 2012 at 4:09 pm
fictitious-quandary GOLD, Orlando, Florida
18 articles 5 photos 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"
- Henry Ford

Amazing article. Super sad but know that no good deed goes unnoticed you did a good thing and you should be proud.

leafy said...
on Dec. 6 2011 at 4:15 pm
leafy, City, Other
0 articles 0 photos 682 comments

Favorite Quote:
Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Don't give up hope on humanity...

on Nov. 21 2011 at 8:01 pm
purple0528 SILVER, Bloomington, Illinois
5 articles 1 photo 17 comments
Wow! This is amazing! It really opens your eyes to the people around you

on Nov. 21 2011 at 3:00 pm
MarissaWhitecloud SILVER, Oskaloosa, Iowa
7 articles 0 photos 84 comments
I loved this! It was well writen and I loved the ending.

on Nov. 21 2011 at 12:39 pm
itszappy BRONZE, Wenig Road, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
be kind.

I love this piece. You captured the sadness and bitterness beautifully. I really felt like I was in the story. This is probably one of, if not, my favorite story on teen ink. Just wonderful. Keep up the great work. :)

on Nov. 9 2011 at 5:22 am
Lady-Milano BRONZE, Richardsbay, Other
1 article 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When ever someone says life is so hard I'm tempted to ask,compared to what?"

amazing article. poverty always breaks my heart

on Oct. 24 2011 at 9:30 pm
JesusLuver22 BRONZE, Baker, Florida
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
I Can Do All Things THrough Christ That Gives Me Strength! Phillppians 4:13

I want you to know that God is there for you He will never leave thee nor foresake thee He is an On Time God He may not come when you want him but He will be there right on time!

on Oct. 8 2011 at 12:27 pm
KPetty13 BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you're lucky enought to be different, never change." ~ Taylor Swift

This is incredible, and so down to earth. You definitely earned a spot in the Teen Ink magazine!

on Oct. 8 2011 at 10:26 am
Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other
17 articles 2 photos 118 comments

Favorite Quote:
Preserve your memories, keep them well; what you forget, you can never retell.

This was absolutely amazing. There isn't much more to say than good on you for writing usch a beautifully honest piece. It totally deserved to be printed in the magazine.