If I Were President | Teen Ink

If I Were President

By Birder SILVER, Waterboro, Maine
Birder SILVER, Waterboro, Maine

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, unless they do unto you first, then open a can of unto on to them."

"Obey the ninja."

"What's that? And why does it say snickle tickle?"

If I were president, two of my main focuses would be reducing job cuts and going ‘Green’. My first plan of action would be to reduce gas prices by not importing oil; I would drill it here in the U.S. That would slowly build us more money, meaning less job cuts. Also, we could reduce the mass production of sweets and would save money by not using factories as much, also reducing pollution in the air, which is one way to go green. Recently the company of IBM in San Francisco cut 1,500 employees. Getting fired for no reason is hard, harder than being fired for a reason. What Peter Arnett once said, “I am still in shock and awe at being fired.” This is what every one of those 1,500 employees were thinking.
Another way to make money for the government is to not give sports athletes as much pay. For example, baseball player Alex Rodriguez makes approximately twenty five million dollars a year, what five hundred teachers combined make in a year. That is twenty five million dollars for swinging a bat. So, once we slowly earned enough money by keeping the candy production reduced and oil drilled in our country, we might be able to stop job cuts for good.

What I, as the president would do and encourage you to do, is go green. A few ways is switch from beef hamburgers to Boca burgers, and instead of having to drill oil at all we could use the fat and grease from fast food restaurants as fuel, or, buy the new AIR cars that runs on air, which cost $17,800. You could also plant an herb or vegetable garden, and switch from paper towels and paper or plastic bags to rags and long lasting permanent bags. As Alan M. Eddison said, “Modern technology owes ecology an apology.” As a plus, all of these ways to go green can also save you a lot of money. I mean, instead of having to keep buying paper towels, you could buy a cloth towel for the same amount of one of those purchases.
Another act would be to raise cigarette prices. My reason for this action is that if I did raise the price, it would give smokers yet another reason to quit smoking, lowering the death rate a little bit too. After that, I then would make marijuana legal for medical purposes, because marijuana can be healthy in certain cases, for example, if you have arthritis, it can help a bit, but it will only be legal if prescribed by your doctor, or citizens could easily use it for the wrong purposes. Also I would keep the tax level in the United States the same, because the government would need the money for the plans I would have just executed, and to keep your money balanced, similar to how wolves keep the deer population balanced.

My last and final act would be trying to make peace with as many countries as I could, but at the same time still having war with the countries I haven’t made peace with. Then, with the countries I made peace with, I would trade with them goods with goods so both of us could easily get what we can’t reach. Plus, if I don’t make peace with other countries, I would make or try to grow goods here in the US so we don’t have to import and waste time, gas, and money.

In conclusion, If I were president I would try to make the world a better place for everyone, and save our planet.

I entered a contest, the topic was If i were president, and it had to be a speech. I didn't win, but, I still think I did pretty well.

Riya said...
on May. 17 2015 at 9:15 am
Awesome!! Grt skills..keep progressin
g!

J love this speech so much

Do u know how to do a speech well of course and I have to do this to I'm tired and I'm only in the 4th grade and Im nine that is sad

i feel yoi

mona said...
on Mar. 6 2014 at 3:50 am
i want to be president.. here ; )  i will thnk about education first deeply.. : )

nahnahnah said...
on Mar. 26 2013 at 10:26 am
excellent in your contents, but not in your speech skill...it's more like just an article

deja said...
you should maybe stay on one topic or plan your stuff out  

Julia21 said...
Dear Bones96,
You would better learn English instead  sitting in front of your PC. That will really help your country man! ;)

Bones96 BRONZE said...
Bones96 BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

Life isn't about finding yourself it's about creating yourself-

This is a very good artical. I agree we have lots of things that need to be fix but arn't being fix. These are very good ideas I can tell you have put much though into them.