PRESSURE | Teen Ink

PRESSURE

By this_is_myself PLATINUM, Ukiah, California
this_is_myself PLATINUM, Ukiah, California

The more you love your own decisions, the less you need other people to.

I dont know who said it, but I love it!

There's always pressure around you. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. There can be pressure to finish your homework or to be home on time. That's what I would call a good kind of pressure. Then there are bad pressures... The pressure to drink, smoke, party, have sex. I'm not going to judge or criticize anyone for doing these things. I just want to know why people want to do them so much.

My issue with drinking and smoking is basically the same so I'll start there. Who wants to be out of control of their own body? Who wants to wake up the next morning and not remember what they did the night before? Not to mention those things can ruin your health and cause death. I just don't see the attraction there. It seems kind of pointless to risk your life for a buzz or a high.

Let's skip partying and go straight to sex. Now, I am in highschool and have been with my boyfriend for over a year. I know how hard it is to say no sometimes. But, I still am a virgin completely by choice and my friends and boyfriend respect my decision. I just don't feel like I'm ready to give a part of my heart to a boy, mo matter how special he is. Because every time you have sex you're giving someone a piece of your heart. Is he ready to have basically my whole heart and not break it? Is any 16 year old boy ready for that responsibilty? And what if I was to get pregnant? Would he be ready for THAT responsibilty? I think not. How many guys do you know who would stick aroud? Not many. But maybe you and him are REALLY in love... That's what they all say right?

So I'm not saying just sit at home and be a saint. All I'm saying is that you should be really careful what you do. If you're going to drink or smoke just make sure you have someone completely sober to take care of you. If you're going to a party make sure you have a SOBER ride home. And, if you're going to have sex... Make sure you ask your guy/girl to get tested and use a condom! Just be safe. I mean, it's your life. Don't let one mistake ruin it for you.

Just talking about some things that teenagers should really stop to think about.