What Matters Most | Teen Ink

What Matters Most MAG

By Anonymous

   People come in all shapes and sizes, colors and ethnicities. Some speak differentlywhile others act differently. My mother is in a wheelchair. It is unimportantwhy, but I would like to say a little about this special woman I call"Mommy."

My mom goes beyond the call of duty every day. Shepicks me up from school, drives me to appointments and meetings, cooks dinner,helps me with homework, and tucks me in every night. This is just part of whatmakes her super, though.

She is my best friend and can immediately sensewhen I am upset, offering a shoulder to lean on. She helps me figure out toughproblems that my friends do not understand. Mommy makes me laugh when times arerough, and I always make it through okay. I look forward to coming home because Iknow there is someone there who cares about what I have done.

Mommy hasalways tried to be like a "normal" mom. If only she knew how brilliantand wonderful she is, and how glad I am that she is not a normal mom. She doesn'tneed to change, but rather teach others how to go beyond being"normal." She teaches me life lessons that no teacher or friend can.

She shows me how to accept everyone for what is inside, rather than whatis on the outside. She accepts a lot of rudeness and lack of consideration fromothers because she knows their words cannot change her.

My mom is mymentor. I can only hope to be like her one day and possess as many innerstrengths and qualities. I wish that there were some way for me to repay her forall she has taught me.

You may have realized that all the qualities Iadmire have nothing to do with what she looks like. Everyone could be the way sheis, but most are not. My mother is not ordinary, she is extraordinary.

Iwant everyone to look beyond the surface and see what is inside others. Whoknows, you may overlook someone extremely special like my mom because you cannotaccept their physical features. It is a shame to miss out on these opportunities.What you do with my thoughts and words can make all the difference in the world.