What Matters Most | Teen Ink

What Matters Most MAG

People come in all shapes and sizes, colors and ethnicities. Some speak differentlywhile others act differently. My mother is in a wheelchair. It is unimportantwhy, but I would like to say a little about this special woman I call"Mommy."

My mom goes beyond the call of duty every day. Shepicks me up from school, drives me to appointments and meetings, cooks dinner,helps me with homework, and tucks me in every night. This is just part of whatmakes her super, though.

She is my best friend and can immediately sensewhen I am upset, offering a shoulder to lean on. She helps me figure out toughproblems that my friends do not understand. Mommy makes me laugh when times arerough, and I always make it through okay. I look forward to coming home because Iknow there is someone there who cares about what I have done.

Mommy hasalways tried to be like a "normal" mom. If only she knew how brilliantand wonderful she is, and how glad I am that she is not a normal mom. She doesn'tneed to change, but rather teach others how to go beyond being"normal." She teaches me life lessons that no teacher or friend can.

She shows me how to accept everyone for what is inside, rather than whatis on the outside. She accepts a lot of rudeness and lack of consideration fromothers because she knows their words cannot change her.

My mom is mymentor. I can only hope to be like her one day and possess as many innerstrengths and qualities. I wish that there were some way for me to repay her forall she has taught me.

You may have realized that all the qualities Iadmire have nothing to do with what she looks like. Everyone could be the way sheis, but most are not. My mother is not ordinary, she is extraordinary.

Iwant everyone to look beyond the surface and see what is inside others. Whoknows, you may overlook someone extremely special like my mom because you cannotaccept their physical features. It is a shame to miss out on these opportunities.What you do with my thoughts and words can make all the difference in the world.

on Mar. 29 2018 at 7:07 am
meeshstfu SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

“In the next world, I want to be something useful.
Like a staple gun. Or in love.”
- Bradley Trumpfheller

It came right from your heart.

on Jan. 28 2013 at 5:33 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

I am speechless. This is exactly what my parents taught me, to never judge by the outside, in fact don't judge at all....Oh and really really beautiful article.

VandalSpirit DIAMOND, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of Gods great love, we are not consumed. His compassion never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Wow. I can totally relate. I tell my mom everything and while she's still my mom, I can tell her more than I can tell anyone else. What I love is out of everyone I act most like myself around her.

Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado

"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

Very touching. I wish everyone saw their moms like this, because often moms don't get the respect they deserve.