The Storming of the U.S. Capitol --- Possessing a Double Standard and Connecting with the Past | Teen Ink

The Storming of the U.S. Capitol --- Possessing a Double Standard and Connecting with the Past

By Divyash-Yash-Patrick BRONZE, Hackensack, New Jersey
Divyash-Yash-Patrick BRONZE, Hackensack, New Jersey

Regarding the events at the National Capitol on January 6th, 2021, it is apparent that there is a double-standard in our nation. Not only is this double-standard evident on this day, but it has also been visible for many years. Thus, the long-overdue delayed action needed to correct this double standard needs to start. One of the most prominent cases of this double standard can be seen clearly from early 2020 when the Black Lives Matter protests began after the death of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and countless others at the hands of the police. These peaceful protests were often met with crowd control weapons like pepper spray and rubber bullets from the police. One key example of this unfairness was the BLM protests that took place months prior in the same area as the attack on Congress. In comparison, the Black Lives Matter protests were almost instantly met with crowd control methods while the people who entered the Capitol were not met with any resistance until it was too late. Secondly, there are images of the police taking pictures inside the capitol with the attackers rather than escorting them out. These events raise questions about the conspicuous differences in the handling of scenarios, and it is necessary to point out that one led to imminent dangers to some of the most powerful leaders in the world while the other was peaceful. The relationship with the police was also handled much differently. In the BLM protests, images have hardly surfaced of the protestors attacking the police. However, shocking videos from the attack on the Capitol show some people carrying Blue Lives Matter flags, hurting and kicking the police who are trying to remove them from the Capitol. It is manifest that these individuals are against the Blue Lives Matter movement because of their violent actions against the police. By doing this, the group of people also take away from the Black Lives Matters fight against police brutality. One of the most impactful examples of this mockery is the images surfacing showing some of the U.S. Capitol attackers recreating the death of George Floyd on the stairs of the Capitol. How can we not understand that in a nation that has a pledge that includes  “And to the republic, for which it stands

One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all;” we have people entering the capitol building and creating images to the world where they mock their fellow citizens.

The attack on Congress not only lead to this unforgettable damage but also some of the most horrific pictures we have ever seen. America, being the oldest democracy still alive, took a direct hit to its respected reputation. By producing images of our citizens disrespecting the officials they put into place, our country may now be viewed in a different light. Images have surfaced of men wearing MAGA hats entering the office of Nancy Pelosi, current Speaker of the House, and stealing her mail as a souvenir. 

Another issue to note regarding the coup is the historical magnitude of the events that happened. Less than a week into the new year, we witnessed historical ties where the president of the United States encouraged his “fans” to attack the Congress, and when asked to stop the attacks, he continued to spread false claims by quoting “We had an election stolen from us. A landslide election,” before going on to tell them to go home. Unlike this president, many other people have spoken out including past President Obama who said “History will rightly remember today’s violence at the Capitol, incited by a sitting president who has continued to baselessly lie about the outcome of a lawful election, as a moment of great dishonor and shame for our nation.” As seen in President Obama’s tweet, there is a lot that our nation should be ashamed of, and this is something that is being seen globally by our allies and our enemies. When putting this back into context, we can draw similarities to a revolution that happened centuries ago.

On October 5th, 1789, French revolutionaries decided to storm the palace of Versailles as a result of built-up tension that stemmed from the acts of King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antionette. Historians may argue that this monumental event, which was titled the March on Versailles, is the historical equivalent of the Storming of the Capitol as both events shared an alarming similitude. Both incidents reflect vigorous efforts by normal civilians to not only send a message to each of their governing bodies but to also express each group’s built-up exasperation. Likewise to the Fisher Women who marched onto the home of King Louis XVI and the royal family, the terrorists who stormed in the U.S. Capitol buildings had been driven by a clear motivation. The false news and announcements distributed by Donald J. Trump parallel the controlling and manipulative acts of Maximilien Robespierre and the propaganda of several French royal figures, like Marie Antoinette. Her famous phrase “Let them eat cake” fueled the French revolutionaries in the same manner as Trump’s statements on the erroneousness and inaccuracy of the presidential election. The March on Versailles was a substantial turning point for the French Revolution, leading to much violence and later stages of the French Revolution. Noticing how this was among the first dominos which initiated the French Revolution, we must be cautious moving forward, standing united as a nation, to steer clear of the atrocities in the further stages of the French Revolution. Overall, this apparent connection between the unforgettable March on Versailles and the obscenity of Storming of the Capitol symbolizes a conspicuous need for change, which should be alarming to United States citizens from all parties.

As we move forward into this year, explicit change needs to be the top priority. With a new president in power, it does not ensure any promises for our democracy based on the events of January, 6th, 2021. This day should go down as a day in history, as a day where all of America has woken up and truly understands the ongoing universal problem.

References:

nbcnews.com/politics/congress/live-blog/electoral-college-certification-updates-n1252864/ncrd1253174#blogHeader

washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/01/07/domestic-terrorism-capitol-mob/

news.yahoo.com/black-lives-matter-protesters-were-221653420.html

youtube.com/watch?v=h5TlgeVmU3I