How Many More? | Teen Ink

How Many More?

By ilanadrake PLATINUM, New York, New York
ilanadrake PLATINUM, New York, New York

How many more times do we have to feel chills in our spine because we do not know if it is a drill?

How many more times do we have to crouch down under our desks because the whole classroom is visible from the door?

How many more times will each child in the class find the nearest corner of the classroom on the first day of school?

How many more times do students have to hold signs and scream at the top of their lungs because they fear attending school?

How many more times will a mother weep into her pillow because she wasn't able to protect her child?

How many more times will a father walk around at midnight to hold the last family photo where the family was complete?

How many more days will follow with the politics of guns in schools being debated? 

How many more months will pass by with no legislation to prevent the fear of America's youth in schools?

How many more sobs and tears do we have to see roll down the faces of whole families?

How many more times will we be promised change with the laws around guns and safety in school?

And how many more times will we see another school shooting on the news? 

This piece focuses on past and current events involving school shootings and gun violence. I hope that we can work together to ensure the safety of all students in schools through tightening gun laws.