A Special Moment in Time | Teen Ink

A Special Moment in Time

By bubblylittledancer PLATINUM, Waterloo, Iowa
bubblylittledancer PLATINUM, Waterloo, Iowa

This is it, all that you've worked for, you have no idea what you're up against, but you're ready. There is only one thing that matters now, and that is the end. You haven't even started, but the only thing to plague your mind is the end. You're competing against what you don't even know, for something you've never done.

To your marks. . .

You crouch down, the rubber ground digs into your left knee, "Good luck." you hear the girl holding your blocks whisper. Your hair is plastered to your face, the rain drenches you, seeping through your socks, pooling cooly around your toes. It's cold, but you don't care. "Thanks." you whisper and smile, even though she can't see. You tense slightly, cold and wet, preparing for what is coming.

Get set. . .

Your legs extend behind you and your fingers burn as the weight on them pushes them into the ground. The pitter-patter of raindrops and the nervous breathing of the ten or so figures around you is all that you can hear. Your heart hammers hard and your breath catches in your throat as you try hard not to concntrate on what is ahead. You are ready, waiting...

The man raises his hand holding the gun, adjusts his stance, raindrops deflecing from his shoulders, he is preparing to run onto the grass and out of your way. A hush falls over the stands for a moment of complete stillness.

The gun goes off. . .

Then you're gone. Speeding around the curve, each step carrying your shaking frame further. Dodging raindrops, you've trained for this moment, worked your butt off for endless hours for it...and still, it's not enough. The words of others run through your head...there's coach: "When you step on that track, we only care about you getting better..." There's Mr. Mord: "Many athletes perform better in the rain because it's an area of high pressure and that...". Then there's you: "Faster, farther, faster..."

That's it. It's over. Done with. But you're not done. This race, for you, is far from over. Although our race is done, your chest is heaving and you can leave the rubber track now, you won't stop going, pushing for better times, wanting perfection. You aren't going to stop until this is over, and you are far from over.