Jonathan Pugliese: A Man Reflecting Light | Teen Ink

Jonathan Pugliese: A Man Reflecting Light

April 5, 2019
By adamrossetti15 BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
adamrossetti15 BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 Jonathan Pugliese is a man who has experienced many ups and downs in his lifetime. His past experiences have brought out the person he truly is. This interview is well deserved due to the life changing events and the multiple things Jon has overcome in his life.

When first being looked at, Jon’s appearance is one of any other average high school teenager. What is fascinating about him, is by look, you would never be able to tell what this man has been through. Jon is a senior inshigh School and is highly involved in extracurricular activities.

Since Jon was young, he always strived to do great things inside and outside of the classroom. His grades were always well maintained and is currently on the Distinguished honor roll. When asked about his success in school he responded, “While I’m in school, I try to make the best out of every situation that I possibly could. My main goal in class is to just try my best and that has really worked out thus far”.

  Although Jon may not seem like he has struggled with anything along the way, he has overcome much more adversity than many other high school students have experienced. While Jon’s birthday was approaching in 2005, something unexpected had happened that would change his life forever. His father, SFC. George A. Pugliese, was serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom when he tragically lost his life during an attack on his Bradley vehicle on September 28, 2005. This event had struck Jon and his family directly in the heart.

This life altering experience was very rough on Jon. Although this was very tragic, Jon made sure to continue his father’s values and remember everything that his father has taught him. When asked about the sensitive topic, Jon answered, “I try to strive in school because I knew how much my father valued education”. The toughest part of his life thus far has been growing up without a father. Even though he did not have a father present during most of his days, Jon stated that his brother Nick acted as his father figure. For years of his life, Nick had given up many things to care and provide for Jon and his family. Having a teenage son can be difficult for any mother. Jon’s mom has made a huge impact on his life due to the fact of her being on her own for the majority of her children’s lives. Jon stated that his mother has stayed strong throughout the years in order to make sure her children were able to have the best possible life they could. Mrs. Pugliese has been with Jon every step of the way in his magnificent journey. Since the tragic accident Jon has learned to play multiple instruments including the bass guitar. Playing guitar is something very important that Jon relies on to clear his mind when times get tough. Not only does he play but he is a member of the locally famous band named, “Stereo Moons”. When being asked how much the group of guys that he plays with means to him he stated, “These guys have always had my back and shared the same interests as me. Having friends that actually understand you and will have your back throughout anything is truly amazing”.

Although he does not speak much about his father, Jon has never forgotten the principles of life that SFC Pugliese once engraved in his son. Jon has taken the words of wisdom his father left him with and applied them to something worth it. Boy Scouts has always been a huge part of Jon’s life. For year after year, he had given up summers, weekends, and family outings in order to pursue the highest rank in scouting, The Eagle Scout. “The thing that I am proudest of in my life would definitely be getting my eagle scout. I worked very hard to achieve it and when I finally did get it, it made me feel like everything was worth it”.

Jon has been working almost a fulltime job since he was only a sophomore. For being on the baseball team at school, this can cause quite a problem. However, Jon made it work through his terrific time management skills. Jon has worked for multiple years in order to set a precedent to his younger sister Avianna, who is a sophomore currently. He has always thought that she would reflect the things he has done. He understands that she is feeling the same hardships she has and does not want her to go through life alone. Acting as a father figure like his brother Nick did to him is something that means the world to Jon.

 “My mom has helped me get through life each and every day. She is truly the strongest woman I know.”, Jon answered after being asked how much his mother meant to him. Jon plans on attending West Chester University during the fall of 2019. After college he has decided to consider the Air Force in recognition of his father’s loyalty to his country. “I have never forgotten my dad, not even for a second in my life. When I got accepted into college it was really cool to see how proud my mother was. Everything was going good in my life and I knew that my dad would have been proud of me” was Jon’s response to many of his accomplishments today.

Jonathan Pugliese is a man who has been through everything. Through ups and downs, he has managed to make himself the best possible man he can be. With the man he has become, the entire community can vouch that SFC Pugliese would be extremely proud of his son.  His valiant accomplishments and ability to stay focused is truly remarkable.