My 28th Amendment | Teen Ink

My 28th Amendment

November 13, 2018
By NikkiChopra BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
NikkiChopra BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Thank you Chairwoman,

My name is Nikki C., a senator from the great state of  Illinois. Today I'm here to ask you if you can help me ratify the 28th amendment. I’ve been a senator for almost 20  years, I have been working with so many partners, my biggest success has been working with the non-profit the American Civil Liberties Union. The amendment that I put forth to you is a combination of both of our efforts. This amendment gives rights to Lesbian, Gay, Bisextual, Transgender and Queer citizens. They should have the right to have any jobs they want no matter what their sextual orientation is.  Currently citizens who are Lesbian, Gay, bisexual, Transgender and Queer are being discriminated against, and are not given the chance to have that many job opportunities. An example of this was 55 years ago, President Clinton passed “Don’t ask, Dont tell.” which put people who were LGBTQ like Private Saundra Mitchell out from the military just for claiming their queerness.

Ms Chairwoman, this amendment is important because children are told to be who you are and don't let anyone get in the way of this. This needs to be ratified because citizens who are LGBTQ+ can’t express themselves. Citizens of different sexual orientation and expression are the same as non-LGBTQ+ citizens. It means no difference what your sexual orientation is. Therefore they should be allowed to have the same amount of opportunities as non-LGBTQ citizens. Studies have shown that if businesses hire more diversity, their companies will be more successful and likely to grow faster. There are more diverse ideas for new products. One unique aspect of  America is that is has been open to new ideas and accepting everyone, this is what makes America strong. By passing this amendment we are making it clear to the country and the world this is still an American value.
If this amendment were to be ratified, it would help many people. In the first part of my speech I mentioned how Saundra Mitchell got kicked out of the military just for claiming  queerness. This amendment would help so many people like Saundra Mitchell, and this won't have to happen again if we ratify the 28th amendment. LGBTQ+ citizens won't have to be afraid to uncover their sexual orientation and expression. The 28th amendment will put a stop to people in charge of jobs and the president from discriminating against LGBTQ+ citizens just for being themselves. This amendment will also state that when a citizen who is LGBTQ+ gets a job they won’t be the lowest class of employees just for claiming they are LGBTQ+. If we were to ratify this amendment we would change many lives.

Ms Chairwoman, if we don't ratify this amendment I want to be very clear with you about what could happen again. I’m sure you remember the mass killing in Orlando, Florida on June 12, 2016 directed towards LGBTQ+ citizens. This shooting was held at a gay nightclub. 49 people died and many more were injured. Almost everyone was LGBTQ+ and were mostly men. That night, 42 men and 7 women were killed for simply being themselves. Almost all the citizens who managed to escape lost at least a loved one or a friend. Ms Chairwoman, this amendment won't just give opportunities to LGBTQ+, it will give them a feeling of safety and acceptance. It will make them feel more comfortable in society, and violence directed towards LGBTQ+ will become less socially acceptable. People will understand that there is no reason to target them, and simply will accept them for being who they are.

In conclusion I propose that we pass this amendment allowing all citizens who are LGBTQ+ to have the opportunity to have any job without being considered at a lower advantage just because they are LGBTQ+. This amendment would be important because it will give a chance to all LGBTQ+ citizens who are being discriminated by giving opportunities to all the LGBTQ+ citizens. This amendment will begin to change how today's society treats LGBTQ+ citizens. To all the the people listening, including you Ms Chairwoman, I hope you realize the damage that has happened without having this amendment. Ms Chairman, I hope that you will accept this 28th amendment and be an advocate for its ratification. Drop the mic.

Thank you for your time.


The author's comments:

This is a creative Wrighting piece of how a 28th amendment would be ratified.