From My Eyes | Teen Ink

From My Eyes

May 12, 2016
By BuddingRose GOLD, Irwin, Pennsylvania
BuddingRose GOLD, Irwin, Pennsylvania
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A person's a person, no matter how small." -Dr.Suess


I was dignosed with Autism at the age of five and have stayed that way ever since. At the same time, I started tap, jazz, and ballet classes. I have cleared a path for other autisitcs to lead since that day. As much as you would like to believe that I wouldn't survive or become a scandal, I can tell you that survival has become my middle name. 

 

Most of you would like to believe that my grades would be crummy due to certain stereotypes about my kind like how most non-autistic people believe that we have a low maturity and a "baby" who needs to "toughen up". Truth is, I have thrived in the education system, even being awarded Student of the Month in November 2015. While it is true that I have some emotional issues, I have been receiving help for that via therapy. 

 

Also, dispite many people praying for a cure, truth is a cure may not be needed after all. We are not defects as the medical professionals deem us to be, but beautiful creations of God (or whatever deity you worship, if any).

 

About a century ago, people like me would've been thrown in a asylum and left to die, but thanks to the efforts of justice-minded people, the age of asylums has ended. If these people can close down those gruesome relics known as ayslums, they can surely promote peace between my kind and the Average Joe. Not only are we unique, but we can function with some benefits that normal people don't understand such as special interests (I have special interests in history, video games, writing and so much more) and enhanced helpfulness. 

 

I believe the reason people fear Autism is because the way we do things is confusing to normal people. For example, in the Middle Ages and continuing as late as the colonial period in America, "witches" could be executed by the church. Most of the time, the "witches" were innocent people, who sadly, were killed by members of thier own congregation. Why? Because the church feared them due to thier unique ways. If a cure would exist for Autism, we would lose something precious. When autism is mentioned, I would encourage you to think of all the autistics who survived a rough life where people fear new and unique things. 


The author's comments:

I wrote this to discuss Autism in a positive light.