Taylor Swift & Gender Equality | Teen Ink

Taylor Swift & Gender Equality

By kkyymmiiaa GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey
kkyymmiiaa GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey

After ten years of being shamed and criticized about dating “too many boys” and being “oversharing” in her music, Taylor Swift has come out as being a feminist and expressed strongly her beliefs about gender equality. She’s exposed the hidden sexism and discrimination we’ve somehow come to accept. Swift has not only stood up for herself as a musician but for women everywhere.

Since the release of her fifth studio album, 1989, Taylor Swift has been bringing to the surface the double standards in the music industry. I’m sure you’ve all heard the jokes “Watch out guys-she’ll write a song about you!” Swift has discussed the fact that when a man shares his emotions in a song he’s considered brave, and when a woman does she’s thought to be overly sharing. How a man can date as many girls as he wants and is labeled a “stud” whilst a woman associated with over two boys in a year is labeled a “slut”. No matter how talented a woman might be, she is constantly defined by her romantic relationships. Issues like these are what Swift is trying to eliminate.

It’s so interesting to me how people only seem to focus on the songs Swift has written regarding her relationships. No one seems to think about “Ronan” a song Taylor wrote about a three year old boy who lost his life to cancer. “The Best Day” that Taylor wrote for her mother for mothers day. “Tied Together with a Smile” for her best friend in high school who was struggling with eating disorders and self esteem issues, to remind her she was still beautiful. Somehow the only songs anyone cares about are the ones concerning failed relationships.

Swift is all too familiar with how to media portrays her and, in fact, decided to write a song about it. She thought about this wildly complex character the media has put together for her, an overly sensitive, overly attached, man-eating serial dater, written from the satirical perspective of the character, was she to exist. In the video, she acts somewhat “insane” smashing her ex-boyfriend's car, burning his clothes and crying mascara tears, you know, what you’d expect a psychotic girlfriend to do.  This song “Blank Space” has become Swift’s humorous take on a serious issue.

Taylor is not solitary in this fight against gender discrimination in the media. Celebrities such as Beyonce, Emma Watson, Laverne Cox, etc. Have all become known for their strong beliefs towards the fight for gender equality.

With the help of these big names in society and the media, I am optimistic that these issues regarding gender discrimination will soon subside.

I've always been a huge fan of Taylor Swift, and I'm also a very strong supporter of feminism and gender equality. I wanted to write about the two put together.