Depression Doesn't Have an Outfit | Teen Ink

Depression Doesn't Have an Outfit

By Joey-Dreamer SILVER, Sacramento, California
Joey-Dreamer SILVER, Sacramento, California

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

Am I the only one who gets asked if im depressed because of how I dress?

I don't find this offensive because of what's asked, its offensive because of the fact that you felt the need to ask. Like you can't possibly conceive the very idea of someone who dresses like this and listens to this music can POSSIBLY be a normal, mentally healthy human being.

I love life, and I have friends. Im not depressed at ALL and it just saddens me that this world is so jacked up that it treats everyone that isn't a part of the majority as someone who deep down IS part of the majority but doesn't want to be anymore. Like it's not possible for someone to just truly be that way. I've been asked "What are you trying to do?" with the look of someone who is tired of a charade. As if im putting on some kind of show with my style. It infuriates me.

When your young, people tell you to be who you are and never be afraid to stray away from the crowd. But the truth is, sure you can be who you want. As long as the person you want to be is what we want you to be. We don't care about what you think looks good on you or what style you like best, just act and dress exactly like everyone else and you'll survive.

But I don't wanna survive. Im tired of being suffocated by the expectations and restrictions of the world. Im gonna be who I wanna be because that's what makes me happy.

Im tired of surviving. Its time for us to live.

I am just tired of seeing people ridiculed and bullied because of how they dress. People assume all who dress different than them have something wrong with them, and im here to talk about how this is not the case.