Feedback on Breakthrough | Teen Ink

Feedback on Breakthrough

September 20, 2017
By AngelinaC GOLD, Staten Island, New York
AngelinaC GOLD, Staten Island, New York
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

      We all have moments where we feel defeated and useless. Perhaps this was because one might be struggling through depression, facing bad luck, or one simply might be experiencing “a bad day.” However, there are always positive effects from a dreadful day. “Breakthrough” by Sydney Traylor is a brilliant poem which discusses the idea that “broken” is not “useless”.  Traylor mentions that broken things are not bad things but they are things that have potential to be something greater. The conflicting idea that broken is acceptable makes this poem unique and admirable.

       This poem would appeal to those struggling through depression. Those who struggle with depression feel as if they are not good enough and that they are alone in their struggles. They often feel empty on the inside, using sadness as a filler for their “emptiness.” Through this depression, many tend to become suicidal and lose faith in everyone and themselves. As someone who is surrounded by those constantly plagued by depression, I know that those facing this challenge should be aware that they are not alone and that everyone loves and supports them. So when Traylor says, “I believe in a broken me,” it speaks to me. This statement acknowledges that setbacks should not discourage people as “broken” often means “defeated.” It is understood that one must have a sense of self worth to be happy, something that the majority of people do not have, even if one made a mistake or is given sorrowful news.

      Thank you you, Sydney Traylor, for you have inspired me and spoke to me with your wondrous piece of literature. It made me think of “broken things” in a more positive way. Thank you for this amazing poem is definitely something to admire and ponder.