Feedback for "Why '13 Reasons Why' Fails" | Teen Ink

Feedback for "Why '13 Reasons Why' Fails"

September 19, 2017
By Vulphane SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Vulphane SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Nowadays, suicide certainly isn't anything out of the particular. In fact, this subject is commonly discussed amongst another, and can be easily spotted on social media. But there is a difference between how it's portrayed in media versus reality, when reporters aren't constantly twisting the story. The article "Why '13 Reasons Why' Fails" by Ellis Donaghey clearly directs the issue that what the media presents may not always be the case. The readers, after looking through this article, can distinctly understand why the hit-show fails the capture the actual suffering and pain behind every suicide. Donaghey presents the case as of how "no one mentions how it does a great disservice to those suffering with mental illness and suicidal ideation". While the viewers who enjoy the show may be oblivious to the idea of ignorance that the series are giving, I first recognized that "13 Reasons Why" dismissed the touchy subject of suicide quite easily. Although most fans of the show are unaware of how the media presents suicide so dismissively, they will understand that they have been interpreting the whole series in the wrong perspective after reading "Why '13 Reasons Why' Fails".