Spitting into the Wind | Teen Ink

Spitting into the Wind

By mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

I'm going to be honest; I teared up at the end of this story. Even though I'm not Korean nor have I ran away from home, I can relate to this story. In his story, "Spitting into the Wind", Dwight Han has written what I had thought before and more. His story was suspenseful, yet warming at the same time.
I also had arguments with my parents pressuring me with having good grades and staying on top of everything, which led to me exploding into rage. Then, I took some alone time and thought how my parents gave up a successful life in China in order to move to the United States, just to give me the best opportunity. Dwight took the words right out of my mouth when he came to a realization of why his parents had pestered him. "As parents, they had done everything in their power to give us the American dream, to maximize our odds of success. Now, they were nervously awaiting the results of that gamble," as Dwight wrote. Parents only want the best for their children.
The beautiful thing about this piece is that it’s not only me and a few other people that can empathize with Dwight. It’s relatable to the majority of children out there who don’t understand their parents’ constant pestering. At the end though, Dwight acknowledges his mother’s sacrifices and thanks her for what she has done.