Spencer Wright | Teen Ink

Spencer Wright

December 2, 2015
By kmartin12 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
kmartin12 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

In “Spencer Wright” written by Candice W., she explains how one individual saved her life, making him a hero.  After the passing of Ward’s grandparents, she went through a terrible depression filled with suicidal thoughts.  Ward tried to look past this by having a positive attitude for the start of high school and joined Women’s choir.  She became happier and loved her chorus teacher.  As the year went on, Candice described, “My friends—or those I thought were my friends—started talking about me behind my back and spreading rumors.” Ward was hurt, and her choral director, Candice, came to the rescue.  She felt like giving up and ending everything.  Mr. Wright explained to Ward, “If you never learn anything from me, learn this:  No one is worth stealing your joy.”  Because of him, her outlook on life was completely different; Candice was there for her when no one else was.  I can take this as a life lesson as well.  When some things may not be going my way and I think I need to give up, I know people’s hurtful words shouldn’t dictate my happiness.