The Tunnel | Teen Ink

The Tunnel MAG

October 7, 2015
By Zehra13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Zehra13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The fiction piece “The Tunnel” by Max Firehammer is a flawlessly written horror story that keeps your heart in your throat and your mind sucked into its woven lines of terror and suspense. It leads you to a small town that is haunted by a mysterious tunnel that hides unnerving secrets in its hollow mouth. Three young friends, out of foolishness, decide to explore this hole in the hill that looks like an open mouth screaming. The three walk in, and only one walks out. This story’s hypnotizing lines will not let your eyes leave the page ’til the end.


This story is perfect for the lead-up to Halloween. From the first line I was drawn in and held my breath the entire time. I loved feeling dismayed when things were hopeless, and the thrill of the moment when I was filled with dread. The tense beginning captured my attention with the line, “They all knew about the tunnel. Everyone knew about it. Knowing it was there was ordinary, common. Talking about it wasn’t. Going into it – that was insane.” Finishing the story left an icy feeling on my spine. This piece is a must-read on Halloween. Especially if you and your friends are tunneled under the blankets.